TechSpot

New Member

By shanem284
Nov 28, 2006
  1. Hi everyone

I am new to forums and sites such as this, actually this is my first time at introducing myself in an online format.

I am using windows XP, and basically want to learn as much as I can about using, maintaining and keeping away from some of the problems I have read online.

To that end i appreciate any and all help you are willing to give, I am teachable

Thanking you all in advance

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!! :)

It's nice to have you around here!

Regards :wave:

3. takaboku

takaboku TS Rookie Posts: 136

Hi and welcome to Da Forums, shanem284. I keep the bad guys away by: two antivirus systems running(norton & spyware doctor), ad-ware se personal, no holes in my firewall, Firefox, use TrustWatch on IE, and I'm very, very careful with my e-mail. I go so far as not to accept pic or such , and will not open a forwarded message... I hope this helped you out a little... Good luck.

4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Ehhh, if I were you, I'd uninstall norton. It's a complete piece of junk. AVG Free is way better, and uses a lot less system resources.

If you check the Security & Web forum, you'll see a lot of complaints regarding that piece of sh*t.

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

6. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 545

Well that's just great!

7. takaboku

I've always used Norton, never had a problem and my system has never been infected. Good luck with the free stuff...

8. howard_hopkinso

Of course, you`re entitled to your opinion, but these are the facts as I see them.

Symantec/Norton is one of the biggest resource hogs around and deffinitely slows a computer down substantially. See HERE for more info.

It can be a real pain in the rear to uninstall, we even have a sticky(READ) thread to help folks to get rid of it. See HERE.

I work with virus/spyware removal everyday and I have to say, people who have Symantec/Norton crapware installed, seem to be more prone to infections than anyone else.

Hardly any of the regular Techspot members in the know, use Symantec/Norton. there has to be a reason for that.

If you do a Techspot search for Norton, you`ll get an idea of just some of the problems it can cause.

Regards Howard :)

9. takaboku

If not Norton and you don't mind me asking, what do you use on your system?

10. howard_hopkinso

I use AVG free and Zonealarm.

In addition to that, I also use SS&D/Ad-Aware se personal/Spyware Blaster/AVG Antispyware, none of which I have running in the background.

I have never had any problems with the software or any viruses/spyware problems.

Regards Howard :)

11. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Welcome to TechSpot, shanem284!! ;) It is a great forum thanks to the other posters who make it so :D

Hope you get your questions answered here!

--kitty

12. takaboku

Thanks for the advice...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.