New Memeber

By Ajax-Alan
Apr 6, 2004
  1. Hello,
    I am a new member. My name is Alan and I reside in Worthing England.

I am a Retired Engine Train Driver with 20 Years on Steam Engines , and 28 Years Driving Diesels and Electric Trains. 48 Years in total. I retired early two years before completing 50 Years on the Railway. I am now 71 Years Old.

I am relatively new to playing games. A few years ago I obtained a Flight Simulator called Overlord. It is a game designed on the prelude prior to D DAY and involves flying 4 types of aircraft with dog fights , Bombing and Straffing.

Recently I purchased a new Graphics card and in the package was a game called Splinter Cell. Once I started playing it I was hooked. I now have 5 similar games including Far Cry Demo which I find very challenging. I am looking forward to obtaining the full version along with the New Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow.

Re Far Cry I found the aiming Graticule was invisible on a light background. I solved this problem by having a small piece of clear plastic similar to the plastic seal on a finger plaster.

Drawing a small Black circle the size being inside the graticule cross area with wax pencil, and then a cross in the middle. Slightly dampen the other side of the plastic ( No adhesive is required )and place it on the screen to alighn with the graticule. Now it is visible on all back grounds. It does not harm the screen and is easily removed. I am using a 19in Flat Screen Monitor and there is no static to hold the plastic like CRT Monitor.

2. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

Welcome aboard have a very interesting background, and I am sure you will be a positive addition to the Techspot community...enjoy your stay...

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Welcome aboard. I used to do the same thing when I played FPS' in college. That works wonders.

I think you will find TechSpot very informative and friendly. Feel free to ask questions or just soak up some knowledge as you see fit.
  4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Hello and Welcome :wave:
    I've used that "Hi-tech" solution for a multiplayer map in Counter-strike. One where everyone has a knife and the Scout sniper rifle with 10 bullets. Makes firing without the scope (no cross hair) easier.

I believe in the full game settings you can set the cross hair colour so you could try and pick a colour that is visible in both light and dark. There's a good idea for a game feature. A cross hair that alters colour depending on the surrounding colour of the environment ;)

And I hope I'm still playing games when I get to your age Alan (only 28 just now).
  5. Ajax-Alan

Ajax-Alan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Arris,
    Yes I have a mod that allows you to change the colour of the X Hairs but it doesn't make a lot of difference. If you make them Black then you cant see them on a dark background.

I have set them as yellow and with the plastic strip on the screen its the best of both worlds. The Plastic strip with the black circle and cross in the middle works on Light back ground and the Yellow cross hairs show on light background.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.