New minotor, now LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

astra

New minotor, now LCD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have CRT LG Flatron 915FT plus. It is 4 years old and I have noticed it is too dark for digi photography.

I would like to buy a new LCD, 20.1" not wide screen, with a native res. 1600x1200.

I want to process RAW pictures (I am not editing digital pictures professionally. I just like RAW format over jpeg, because I can easily fix white balance, exposure etc.) from my new digi camera and once a week play FPS. However, processing RAW pics is the most important factor, playing games is secondary to it

Atm I consider 2 models:
ViewSonic VP2030
and
NEC MultiSync LCD2070NX

My 6th sense says that Viewsonic is more trustworthy than NEC, but I might be wrong.

What do you think guys?

Thank you in advance,
Astra.

4 years on a CRT is nothing. Are you sure there are not some :Brightness" setting or whatever to adjust that screen. Or are you just looking for an excuse to buy that new Veiwsonic. I love the 2 I have.

P.S. isn't a" minotor" an acient Greek mythological Beast ???? Just kidding

Correct, 4 years is not too much. I thought I am gonna use it for 4 more years at least. However, after I bought a digi camera and started to edit pictures (canon raw), I noticed that my monitor is way too dark. Some pictures that I saw on the Internet, were might brighter with lots of details that I could see on other monitors but could _not_ see the details on mine. I have contrast 100% and brightness 90. I have calibrated my monitor with Adobe software that comes with photoshop cs2, it improved the images a bit but still they are too dark. More over, it is recommended to use 6500K temp, and if I set it 6500 my monitor is just too yellow. I must use 9300 instead. I have checked some other tests as well. IMHO my monitor is dying. If not for editing pictures probably I could use it for 2-3 more years before I would notice the problem.

Do you have 2 viewsonic vp2030?

I own a 1yr old VA1912 wb that is great and quick and an 8yr old VG151 still looks good.
I have had nothing but luck (touch wood) with Veiw....
I have seen many models used from games to spread sheets, All good. If you are happy with the specs (You should choose based on what you mainly use the screen for) You should be happy.

I bought Viewsonic 2030b.

Bad choice. Avoid Viewsonic by any means. Most of their models suffer from the same FIRMWARE glitch. You see nothing on your screen until WinXP starts and it is doesn't always work as well. Need to reboot 3-4 times.
Now, speak about DVI-D connection.
VGA is fine. However, when you pay £420 for a monitor and want it to work with DVI connection is absolutely must.
I google a lot regarding this problem. There are literally hundreds of people with different Viewsonic models, such as 2030b, 930, and 21" model as well. All of them have the same problem.
I think it is odd. A well known company such as Viewsonic, when finding a problem, would have to supply at least all of its retailers with firmware update, or its customers, either upon request or making it available for download from their support webpage.

None of the above options are available. When you call them, they try to find other excuses as another DVI cable, faulty video card...only after telling them to stop bulling me, I am IT technician and I know what I am talking about, as well as I know how to google and read what other people say, then they say al'right, you are right, we have a problem with this particular model's firmware (gosh, ppl were complaining about it for 6 months and they didn't solve it yet, didn't recall all the faulty monitors??? What sort of a company is it?). Anyway, they said they will send me a new one. In 2 days they said they don't have any new ones and I will have to wait at least 3-4 weeks, but they may repair my monitor if I don't mind. So...I am sitting without my monitor for 2 weeks now and it is still somewhere out there, only not in my house.

I am so frustrated and disappointed with Viewsonic. I cannot believe how could they let down their customers in such a manner??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back