New MOBO and a seemingly broken OS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya first post on these forums but from what I understand is you guys help out better than most.
I just bought a new ABIT MOBO and installation was fine I put my new thermal pipe heatsink in reconnected all my hardware booted up and would'nt ya know it? my comp starts yelling at me. Im sure you've heard the scream of pain once and a while after installing new parts. Fixed this issue through BIOS ops but then it wouldnt recognize my harddrive for some reason.... Got that fixed up but now I every time I try to boot up I get to the windows loading screen and the screen turns black and my comp screams in pain once again! the motherboard description says it was built for networking, Im sitting it in a Server tower with 1.6+ g DDR Mem, My power supply is quite enough but my two questions are here. My hard drives are a bit old, still working fine but kinda old compared to this new MOBO. Q 2 the motherboard is SATA compatible, would this make a difference? should I get a SATA compatible Hard drive?
Thanks for your replies - Zenzao

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If your new mobo is different from your old mobo, you will need to do at least a windows repair, or maybe a full format and reinstall of your os.

This is because your hard drive will still have the old chipset drivers for the old mobo and wont work with the new mobo.

Instructions for doing a Windows repair, can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

New prob

Alright I ended up having to completely reformat the HD. But now it will get to windows and blank screen and give me a beep sound. This sound starts with a low pitch then high and repeats itself. any suggestions? Once again I am using a new ABIT Networking motherboard and I dont know if the age of the Hard Drive matters but it was manufactured in 1999.

I`m sorry to hear you`re still having problems.

Go HERE and run as many of the tests you can.

Also, make sure there are no short circuits between you mobo and your case.

Check that everything is seated and connected correctly.

Disconnect anything not required to boot your computer.

Regards Howard :)

OMG!! lol

Man this is really bugging me lol I tested each stick and they are all fine. Thinking that maybe the problem lies in compatibility of the brand and the motherboard I took all but the kingston 1g stick out. Boot up it takes about 30 seconds to do anything it gets to the first screen where it processes and recognizes what my specs are and then stops. AAAAAH lol this new motherboard is proving to be QUITE the challenge! I am starting to wonder if it is just the MOBO that is messed!

zenzao said:
Man this is really bugging me lol I tested each stick and they are all fine. Thinking that maybe the problem lies in compatibility of the brand and the motherboard I took all but the kingston 1g stick out. Boot up it takes about 30 seconds to do anything it gets to the first screen where it processes and recognizes what my specs are and then stops. AAAAAH lol this new motherboard is proving to be QUITE the challenge! I am starting to wonder if it is just the MOBO that is messed!

I suppose it could be a mobo problem. Daft question I know, but you did use standoffs between your mobo and case didn`t you?

I`d be tempted to completely take everything out of the case and rebuild it and test at every stage of construction..

Have you run the hard drive tests?

Simplicity!

Alright man thanks for your help through all of this I just have one question. If it gets TO windows and then drops what should I be testing? I ask this only because I know all of my connections are fine heh. It did start up once just fine and when it got to Windows it said that "Windows could not complete the operation because of corrupt or invalid files, Please use your windows repair disk." Now I am not able to use the repair disk because every time it tries to boot up it goes blank and gives me that beep sound. Would I be able to transfer the HD to another comp with another MOBO and completely reload windows and still switch it? Gah this is bugging me so much lol I am sure glad I have the info of tech support people as yourself! thanks for your time -ZenZao-

It could be something as simple as a bad hdd. Run the hard drive diagnostic utility.

Try a different ide cable.

Instructions, links etc, are in the link I gave you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back