NEw mobo ANd PSU installed, Now i need helP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

hello i just got an new msi board, and a ultra 400w psu.. Well i got 1 512 mb stick on the board but its says its only 482 on properties on my computer...? ANy help? Also, The fan over cpu is so tite that it bends the board. i can loosen it so wat should i do??

1. as far as your RAM is concerned, does your mobo have onboard video that is using up some of the system RAM?

2. is the "fan" (I assume you mean the heatsink) actually bending the mobo itself or just the plastic heatsink bracket?

3. with the exception of the X-Finity and X-Connect models which are OK, "ultra" brand PSUs are absolute garbage, I wouldn't recommend using it if you like your PC ;)

For RAM, windows recognises 1mb as 1000kb, whilst manufactorers say its 1024kb. As for mobo, it is never good to bend it... See what you can do..

Regards,

Korrupt

KingCody said:
1. as far as your RAM is concerned, does your mobo have onboard video that is using up some of the system RAM?

2. is the "fan" (I assume you mean the heatsink) actually bending the mobo itself or just the plastic heatsink bracket?

3. with the exception of the X-Finity and X-Connect models which are OK, "ultra" brand PSUs are absolute garbage, I wouldn't recommend using it if you like your PC ;)

Its the Heatsink and fan, once i clip the fann in it really tight and pushes down, and bends the board..=( so i dont know:>??

Yes it does have onboard video but how do i disable i?T?

akaivan said:
Its the Heatsink and fan, once i clip the fann in it really tight and pushes down, and bends the board..=( so i dont know:>??

Yes it does have onboard video but how do i disable i?T?
If you're using the stock Heatsink/fan, buy a Zalman one(they're pretty cheap) and that *shouldn't* have a problem with bending the board. As they use screws and not clips.

i_am_a_newbie said:
If you're using the stock Heatsink/fan, buy a Zalman one(they're pretty cheap) and that *shouldn't* have a problem with bending the board. As they use screws and not clips.
i cant afford 1 lol....well atleast now...

Not a good idea to disable your onboard vga, you can adjust the amount it uses, it's only using 32mb which is standard but if you reduce it you will not be able to run programs or play media that require at least 32mb.

if you install a graphics card then it is automatically disabled anyway.

pcaceit said:
Not a good idea to disable your onboard vga, you can adjust the amount it uses, it's only using 32mb which is standard but if you reduce it you will not be able to run programs or play media that require at least 32mb.

if you install a graphics card then it is automatically disabled anyway.

hmm ok i got it... i will be getting a new gpu anyway. But waht bout the board bending, how bout antoher thread?!?

Bending boards

Some Heatsink and fan assemblies have poor quality fixing sprung clips where the tension of the clips are way too high, this can cause damage to your cpu especially the ones with the small petruding heat dispersion plates in the centre. If they are strong enough to bend the board then i would'nt even use it cause processors and Mainboards are'nt exactly cheap.

some Boards have good tollerance to distortion but still not a good idea to have them in distorted situ cause in time the tracks will break and then you will need a new mainboard. so i would change that assembly asap.

You can test the tension before you buy placing heatsink on a flat surface and pushing down both ends of the spring to feel the tension.

you can loosen the tension manually. first remove the clip from the heatsink. then use pliers to "straighten" it out a bit. don't bend it too much or you won't have enough tension to hold it down securely. it will be easier if you leave the fan off until you find the right tension.

as for your RAM, why it is true that windows uses decimal values, that will not affect the amount of RAM it displays. if you have 512MB installed, it should read 512MB. the only thing I can think of is that your onboard video is set to use 30MB (would usually be 32 :confused: ). to disable it, you need to go into your BIOS. even if you can disable it (which you only want to do if you have a seperate stand alone video card) often times you can never regain that RAM. this is one if the drawbacks to some mATX mobos.

KingCody said:
you can loosen the tension manually. first remove the clip from the heatsink. then use pliers to "straighten" it out a bit. don't bend it too much or you won't have enough tension to hold it down securely. it will be easier if you leave the fan off until you find the right tension.

as for your RAM, why it is true that windows uses decimal values, that will not affect the amount of RAM it displays. if you have 512MB installed, it should read 512MB. the only thing I can think of is that your onboard video is set to use 30MB (would usually be 32 :confused: ). to disable it, you need to go into your BIOS. even if you can disable it (which you only want to do if you have a seperate stand alone video card) often times you can never regain that RAM. this is one if the drawbacks to some mATX mobos.
hmm wat do i straighten? THe bent things that clip on the board?"

you first have to dissaemble the heatsink/fan. this is very simple:

1. remove the 4 screws that hold the fan on (or a fan bracket, depending on your heatsink design)
2. remove the fan (or fan bracket)
3. once the fan is off, the clip should simply pull right out (or at least lift up)
4. the clip will be shaped like a "M", the "V" in the middle is what provides tension. if you straighten it out a little you will reduce the tension.
5. remember not to make it too straight, because then it won't provide enough tension. often times those clips can only be bent one way, if you try to bend it back it may snap, so straighten it a little at a time until the desired tension is found.
6. once you;ve got the proper tension, just put it back together and remount on the CPU (make sure you clean it and reapply thermal compound first)

good luck :)

oh... your heatsink probably looks like this...
figure16.jpg

in that case, I don't know what you could do about it because the retention system is plastic.

the only thing I can think of that you could do would be to put some plastic washers in between the retention bracket (that mounts to the mobo) and the mobo itself. this would lift the entire heatsink assembly the same height as the washers, which would obviously reduce the tension.

the retention bracket looks like this...
figure7.jpg

KingCody said:
oh... your heatsink probably looks like this...
figure16.jpg

in that case, I don't know what you could do about it because the retention system is plastic.

the only thing I can think of that you could do would be to put some plastic washers in between the retention bracket (that mounts to the mobo) and the mobo itself. this would lift the entire heatsink assembly the same height as the washers, which would obviously reduce the tension.

the retention bracket looks like this...
figure7.jpg

hmm, all i did is just uclip 1 of te sides...so 1 clip only holdin it it..thanks anyways...hopefully it will stay 2gether.

i wouldn't recommend doing that, it may cause the heatsink to "lift" up on one side or may put too much pressure on one corner. if it doesn't sit totally flat it may cause your CPU to overheat.

and by the way, there is no need to keep quoting every reply, it just clutters up the thread.

anyways.. good luck :)

ahhah sorry for the quotes., but i cheked the temperature its normal..so? BEsides if i wanted to return my mobo woul i contact newegg or msi?

newegg is very good about RMAs. they gave me no hassle at at when I RMA'd my Asus A7N8X-E a couple years ago (i haven't RMA anything since).

KingCody said:
newegg is very good about RMAs. they gave me no hassle at at when I RMA'd my Asus A7N8X-E a couple years ago (i haven't RMA anything since).

What if it goes out in a month, can i still return with newegg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back