New Mobo, CPU and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I have my pc built with a few years and I'm upgrading in the next week. I'll be upgrading the mobo, cpu and ram. I was thinking about going with a Gigabyte GA-965P DS4 SLI (or possibly DQ6), Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 and Corsair CM2X1024 XMS2-6400. I'm stuck to a budget and those pretty much eat it all up. I will also be replacing the case at a later date and going water cooled. I've also managed to get a nVidia 7800GTX 256mb GDDR3 for free so that allows me the upgrade to pci-e. Where me questions are relate to what I'll be buying. Has anyone used these? If so are they good/bad/whatever? Is there something else you'd recommend over them.
I have no intention of going SLI at the moment but for that sake of a small bit extra it allows for future upgrades if needs be.

Muttly said:
Hey all. I have my pc built with a few years and I'm upgrading in the next week. I'll be upgrading the mobo, cpu and ram. I was thinking about going with a Gigabyte GA-965P DS4 SLI (or possibly DQ6), Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 and Corsair CM2X1024 XMS2-6400. I'm stuck to a budget and those pretty much eat it all up. I will also be replacing the case at a later date and going water cooled. I've also managed to get a nVidia 7800GTX 256mb GDDR3 for free so that allows me the upgrade to pcix. Where me questions are relate to what I'll be buying. Has anyone used these? If so are they good/bad/whatever? Is there something else you'd recommend over them.
I have no intention of going SLI at the moment but for that sake of a small bit extra it allows for future upgrades if needs be.
2 things... how the HELL did you get a 7800GTX for FREE?!?!?!?!?!?!? and the other thing is, although im sure you know what your doing, DO NOT call PCI Express PCIX. Because PCIX stands for PCI Extended and it is completely different than PCI-E. Just don't call it that to make sure that newbies don;t get it mixed up.

MetalX said:
2 things... how the HELL did you get a 7800GTX for FREE?!?!?!?!?!?!? and the other thing is, although im sure you know what your doing, DO NOT call PCI Express PCIX. Because PCIX stands for PCI Extended and it is completely different than PCI-E. Just don't call it that to make sure that newbies don;t get it mixed up.
I just corrected that in my post, feel free to correct it in your quote. As the the GTX, my brother bought it for his pc. He runs MS Flight Sim but it turns out the game doesn't like that card and he dropped his frame rate in half from the old card he had. So he bought a new one and I got the GTX.

I ordered it last night anyway. I went with
Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 and Corsair CM2X1024 XMS2-6400. I've also decided that in a few weeks when I've saved up enough for a new case (and when the one I want becomes available) I'll get the case and a second set of the same ram. The case is a Thermaltake Kandalf LCS, its pretty impresive looking and seems to be well reviewed so far. I'll upgrade it to cool the GPU aswell and possibly in time to cool my 5 hdd and 4 ram strips. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back