New Mobo Or Ram??!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

Hey guys I was wonderinn if i should change my mobo or my ram? Because currently i have to sticks or ram ( 512 mb and 256) That my pc cant run so i thought maybe if i sold those i can buy new ones that my mobo can run at 266 mhz. Or i thought maybe i should get a new mobo so i can right my pc2700 512 mb stick. Whats your oppinoin? Thankyou for lookin :approve:

I'd recommend getting a new Mobo, if you can find a decent one that will support your CPU. That way, you can get the full effect from an 8x AGP graphics card, but more importantly, it'll be at least a little upgradable (assuming you tend not to spend $100's on your machine) a little way into the future.

I've taken into consideration here that the memory of the type you're using is of limited stocks these days, and so getting expensive. (just go into a electronics store and ask for the price of a pair of EDORAM sticks, and you'll see what I mean. Ancient tech starts getting very expensive as stocks run out)

By contrast, DDR400 is incredibly cheap at the moment, and while it's not always advisable to mix RAM speeds, they usually clock down to the speed of the slowest stick, or it's otherwise possible to manually set in the BIOS. I'm lucky in that when I buy DDR400, I do it on an agreement with the store that if it doesn't clock down and run, I can take it back (he knows I won't blow it up lol)

hahah yea, but im willing to spend 60$ CAn i get a decent mobo to run My ram and cpu, and a 8x agp slot?any suggestions? :slurp:

In Canada? tell me which geographical area you reside in and ill see if i can look around. if you dont mind ordering online, then look around NCIX, cheap fast shipping n well priced products

I dont really like shopping online, because of wiat and i have to use my dads credit card. LOl so I live In California of usa. Sacremento area, Zip 95662. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back