New Mobo will not post!! Need some help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Jon

I have an old (2001) IBM NetVista which was having all sorts of problems which I eventually traced back to leaking capacitors!! After a number of calls to IBM they agreed to send me a new motherboard (their action/reaction helped restore some of my faith in the goodness of people!).

So when I got the new mobo I took the CPU and heatsink off the old one and transferred it to the new one (with some thermal paste). I then connected the PSU; the bare essentials (monitor, 1 stick of RAM); and then plugged it in... The heatsink fan and the PSU fan both turn on right away and keep running... but nothing else happens. Pressing the power button on the front does nothing and I notice that no lights on the front panel light up!

I also have another almost identical computer... so I tried the same thing... disconnected everything except the items above and plugged it in... this computer initially starts both fans then turns them both off. Then when I press the power button it starts up and I see the IBM logo on the screen... of course I also get some beeps because it can't find certain things like mouse & keyboard..etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?? How do I debug this issue??

I read that if I unplug the CPU heatsink fan and turn on the computer that the heatsink should get hot fairly quickly and that is an indication that the CPU is the problem... I tried this and there was absolutely no heat... however I am not sure that this means a lot because since the power button doesn't seem to be turning the computer on, I don't think any power is being sent to the CPU... does this make sense??

What else should I be looking for??

Edit

Since the last post... I am wondering whether or not the mobo was being shorted so I pulled it out set it up on some cardboard and tried it again... same result!!

Then still on the cardboard... I tried it with the PSU from the other computer... again same result!!

Still need help...

Strip it down to just the CPU and power up this should tell you if the CPU is at least working by the beep codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back