New Mobo, Windows won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

X DarthMonkey X

Here's the deal: I got a new motherboard (ECS nFORCE3-A. I'm not a big fan of ECS boards, but it beat that alternative: BioStar). But now that I've got the thing installed, it won't boot into Windows. I just says "Error loading operating system".

Now, I had this problem when I installed Linux and tried to do a wierdo dual-boot setup using two seperate hard drives. It didn't work, obviously, and I wound up just putting Linux on a hard drive with its own boot sector and all that, and just switching the boot priority in the BIOS when i wanted to get to it.

Anyway, I tried everything I know to do: boot using the windows XP CD and try FixBoot, FixMBR and BootConfig. I seem to remember that those didn't help last time either. I just don't remember how I DID fix it.

So here's the info you might need: ECS nFORCE3-A mobo. WinXP Pro. Windows is on a 40-gig IDE Drive while everything else is on a 250-gig SATA drive.

Bah, I've replaced countless mobos. Seriously, probably upwards of several hundred or so. I know for a fact that you don't necessarily need to reinstall windows. And besides, I already did the Repair thing that removes all updates, drivers, etc and reinstalls default versions. That's always worked for me before.

Either way, this is an unrelated problem: It doesn't even find a bootloader. It's the same if I take the hard drive out or keep it in. It just doesn't see a boot record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back