TechSpot

New Mobo, Windows won't boot

By X DarthMonkey X
Oct 12, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here's the deal: I got a new motherboard (ECS nFORCE3-A. I'm not a big fan of ECS boards, but it beat that alternative: BioStar). But now that I've got the thing installed, it won't boot into Windows. I just says "Error loading operating system".

Now, I had this problem when I installed Linux and tried to do a wierdo dual-boot setup using two seperate hard drives. It didn't work, obviously, and I wound up just putting Linux on a hard drive with its own boot sector and all that, and just switching the boot priority in the BIOS when i wanted to get to it.

Anyway, I tried everything I know to do: boot using the windows XP CD and try FixBoot, FixMBR and BootConfig. I seem to remember that those didn't help last time either. I just don't remember how I DID fix it.

So here's the info you might need: ECS nFORCE3-A mobo. WinXP Pro. Windows is on a 40-gig IDE Drive while everything else is on a 250-gig SATA drive.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

If you have replaced your mobo, you will have to reinstall wondows!!!!!
  3. X DarthMonkey X

X DarthMonkey X TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 164

Bah, I've replaced countless mobos. Seriously, probably upwards of several hundred or so. I know for a fact that you don't necessarily need to reinstall windows. And besides, I already did the Repair thing that removes all updates, drivers, etc and reinstalls default versions. That's always worked for me before.

Either way, this is an unrelated problem: It doesn't even find a bootloader. It's the same if I take the hard drive out or keep it in. It just doesn't see a boot record.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.