New modem installlation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkstyle

hi

i'm planning to upgrade my problematic hcf winmodem to a used us robotics 3cp5610a hardware modem. the modem doesn't include the installation disk, and i went to usr's website to download the installer, but the site only showed installers for win 95/98 & 2000, and for win nt. will either of these work with win xp, or does xp already include the drivers for this modem? if so, will it autodetect the new modem & run the setup application on its own?

also -- i'd posted a (probably dumb) question about being unable to uninstall the old modem thru the device manager. a guy replied & said to just take the card out of the case. so here's another dumb novice question: do the drivers for any given modem only load when the pc fires up & recognizes the presence of the modem card?
in other words, if my old modem is physically removed, do its drivers then never load again, effectively leaving me with a clean slate for installing the new modem? sorry if this is a really dumb, basic question -- i'm just trying to understand how this works a little better. and i'd like to avoid having remnants of the old modem's drivers left over.

thank you!

If there is no driver for XP that could mean 1 of 2 things. Yes it is completely compatible and should install Windows default drivers, or 2 they haven't updated their website and the 2000 drivers should work just fine. But since it's US Robotics I'd say it will auto detect under XP

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

ok. thanks for the reply. the modem showed up in the mail tody, so i'll get my first experience with used computer parts (scary!). thanks!

With the PC off and disconnected from the mains, first remove the old modemcard. Boot up and go to Control Panel, Systems, Hardware Manager. Rightclick the old winmodem and select Uninstall.
Then follow the instructions for the new modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back