New motherboard but still no boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I hope one of you guys can make some sense of this cos at the moment it beats me.
I had an E-machines pc that would not boot up and the only way to switch power on and off was with the power supply switch at the wall socket. I checked the PSU which seemed Ok and also disconnected the front switch from the mono but still it would only switch on and off at the wall. At this point I assumed it was the mobo that was faulty.
Changed the mobo for a MSI board, switched on the pc (from the switch on the pc) and it booted through the BIOS partly into windows but then rebooted.....no suprise as it was Windows XP and a new mobo. I put the windows cd in and started the machine up again, it got part way through boot up and froze and switched off. I rebooted the machine but now it wouldn't boot up again and front switch again not working. There was a slight smell of burning and a strange crackling sound from the southbridge chip (I think) so I assumed the board had failed.
I have just replaced the board again, this time with a Gigabyte board and a similar thing has happened, it started to boot up with the windows disc in , froze and now won't boot up, no BIOS at all on the screen. I have tried different memory, a new PSU and a new processor but still no success. The memory and processor came out of another pc that was working fine.
Its a socket 478 board and has a celeron 2.6 processor in it.
Has anyone any suggestions?? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an update, I have tried the memory and processor in another pc and it works OK which makes me wonder if its the PSU after all which is frying the board.

What kind of PSU is it? if it is a cheapo generic then it is probably junk. what does it deliver on the +12V rail?

Just for future reference, i wouldnt be so quick to blame the mobo.
First thing would be to check ALL connections. If that fails to get you going then re-set the bios as per instructions at mobo mfgr's website.
If that fails test one stick of ram at a time using memtest, google it for free.
if that fails then take all cards and all extras that you dont need to boot the
pc and try to boot. If that fails you should re-seat the cpu.
If that fails try borrowing a power supply from someone and swap out the ps you have, see if that does the job.
After that there are more troubleshooting techniques.

But my main point is that you shouldnt be so quick to blame the mobo, lol.
Other parts, such as cheap generic power supplies fail a lot more often than even cheap motherboards!

I finally replaced the mobo again, only this time fitted a new PSU and everything is working as planned.
Thanks for the feedback you guys.

What the heck I read all the way down only to find the problem is fixed and I'm too late to advise. That never stopped me before. My advice: clean your room, heck paint your room and stop monkeying around with that PC and get a job.
:haha:

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back