New motherboard - dead???

By Pysces
Feb 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a new motherboard and 550 psu yesterday. Got home plugged everything in - LCD on front of tower says no power. The psu fan doesn't spin, the cpu fan is dead - no activity at all. It just sits there like a massive doorstop.

I've tried clear CMOS I've checked all my leads and connectors. Can anyone help me figure out weather this is a m/b problem or a psu problem?

It's a gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 motherboard with 1gb DDR400 memory. My processor is a AMD Athlon XP 3200.
  2. isatippy

isatippy Newcomer, in training Posts: 593

do you have another psu you could put in there and see if it is that or vise versa. :bounce:
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Quite a few PSU's have an On/Off switch at the back....
    If your home-voltage is 115v and the PSU is set for 220v, it would not work either.
    BUT, if you have 220v at home , do NOT set it to 115v! You'll blow it up!

Did you connect the small POWER-cable from the front of the PC to the motherboard? And to the right pins?
  4. BroodsteR

BroodsteR Newcomer, in training

Make sure you power everything
    Mine didnt turn on till i powered my floppy
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

BroodsteR
    thats a differant one MMMMM
    no power at all? what if you don't want a floppy on your system :monkey: :monkey:
  6. BroodsteR

BroodsteR Newcomer, in training

I think the motherboard requires you to have a floppy i dunno, but that's what happened to me, I couldnt turn my comp on, and realised my floppy wasnt powered, plugged it in, and boom! turned on
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.