TechSpot

New Motherboard - how to preserve hard drive contents?

By Tranq
Jul 21, 2006
  1. My current motherboard (EPoX EP-5EPA+) has pretty much konked out it seems after much testing and I'm now looking at the EPoX 5LDA+ (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246607). Since I have no way of booting my computer at the moment, is there a way to preserve what is on my hard drive since I have read that you must re-install the operating system once a new motherboard is installed?

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

It may be possible to repair your operating system once you have the new mobo. Is it XP?

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

sure. get a usb to ide adapter. retrieve your important data onto another computer.

4. Tranq

Tranq TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

Yes, it is XP. If the repair function works that would be a huge relief. Any confirmation on this?

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

A Windows repair may or may not work.

I deffinitely recommend going with Tedsters advice and backing up your important data.

Then, if the worst comes to the worst and you have to reformat the hard drive, you`ll have all your important data to hand.

Regards Howard :)

6. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Yup, backing up would be safer as the only way to find out if the repair function is available is to try it.

7. Tranq

8. howard_hopkinso

That may help, especially if it has the same brand chipset. Of course there`s still no guarantee it will work. It really is a case of wait and see.

9. Tranq

Well my old motherboard is on the Intel 915P chipset I believe and this new motherboard I am looking at is on the Intel 945P chipset...does that mean I should find another motherboard with 915P to greater my chances?

10. howard_hopkinso

I don`t think you need to go that far. The fact that the new board is the same brand of chipset will help you chances.

The only way of guaranteeing 100% success is to get exactly the same board as your old one.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.