New motherboard installed and computer will not power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HPa867c for starters. The mobo died and I purchased an INTEL D945GCL 1066FSB DDR2 PCIe X16 SATA to replace it. I installed the mobo into the tower making sure heatsink compound was in place, all the cables pulled and the placed on the new mobo one at a time, to insure that all cables were in the correct ports. I have double checked all connections to insure proper placement of the cables,had the power supply checked, pulled everything lose and applied one at a time to see if there was and issue elsewhere. I have power to the board because the led light on the board lights up. I have put the Intel P4 3.4 in properly and still have no reaction out the tower when I press the power button. Can it be as simple as a power switch gone bad or is there something I am missing here? There is a connector on the board for power/led but I have no cable to apply to this connector. HELP!!!!!

When you say you cannot connect to the board for power/led do you mean that you don't have a case front panel cable that connects to the small 2 pin jumper that sits just above the regular 9-pin front panel pin out block? Or do you mean that you cant connect to the 9 pin block? The 2-pin jumper is just for the case "power on" light and is a duplicate of the pins on the 9 pin block (the green number 2 and 4 pins)
Basic troubleshooting: Are you satisfied that the cpu socket has no bent or broken pins?
Is the RAM compatible with the motherboard- vendor/voltage/speed/capacity ?
Have you checked to see if the CMOS battery is dead?
Are you sure your previous motherboard died and it wasn't the cpu at fault?
Did you check the power supply for adequate power delivery?

Post back with the steps you have taken so far.

If the board light on, it means the power runs, try to remove all tha attached to ur board, maybe you should check the pwr pin, do u connect the right pin? is tha connected properly?, if its ok but it still not work, have u try to connect the other pin? maybe u should try to replace the psu? N maybe the err from board itself.

What did you do about your RAM? Maybe I'm mistaken but the HP motherboard used DDR RAM (184 pin) while the new Intel motherboard uses DDR2 RAM (240 pin). They aren't compatible and don't even fit in the same slot.

New motherboard

I need to clarify a little. I have the 9 pin cable plugged in and seems to be fine and I figured that the 2 pin port was just as you said. I had the power supply checked with a meter at a local shop and it is working as it should. The CPU connector seems to be fine, nothing bent everything as it should be. The only thing I can see wrong is the ram module I have is 800mhz and the system only goes up to the 670's. I have had issues with ram modules before but the system would at least start up and give an error message,blue screen or something to identify the problem. The CPU fan or HDD's never turn over which is where my confusion starts. It is as if the power switch has gone out, because I have power to the board but that is as far as the power gets or so it would appear.

So far as the response to the ram incompatibility you are correct in the fact they are incompatible , I have a 1gb DDR2 stick @800 mhz. I found after the fact the board doesn't support 800 mhz, but in my experience, the board should blue screen or error out at boot at least. Still very puzzled.

I tried using some unsupported ram on a build recently and the power went to the graphics card, hard drive, CPU fan, case fans, etc., but nothing showed on the screen. I tried each stick separately and no luck.

I tired some different unsupported ram I had and it booted up fine. That ram compatibility can be finicky I guess.

No screen or blue screen will largely be down to degree of incompatibility. If your RAM has no JEDEC profile for DDR2-667 then you'll likely not get a boot.
If the RAM has the embedded profile but the timings are wrong for the system or the RAM requires more voltage than the northbridge can supply then you'll likely blue screen.
Some compatible memory:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D945GCL

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=125452

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...5GCL+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

Went back to the drawing board and started from scratch. Computer tech was WRONG! As I first thought before posting .....bad power supply. Thanks for all the help and input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back