New Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I'm looking into building my first PC but my knowledge of hardware is dating me back to 2001. I plan on using it mostly for gaming so the specifics on that just throw me further into confusion. 1066 MHz FSB, new Quad Processors, DDR3 RAM... all of these things have me throwing in the towel already. So I figure I'll start with the one that is most foreign to me. The motherboard! Which one should I buy? I really don't want to spend top dollar on anything, but want a system that I'll be satisfied with. Any input will be good input, thanks

I'm in the US, San Diego to be exact. I've been trying to read up on some Tech magazines but that's making things worse cause all they keep talking about is all the new technology coming out in '08 that will put todays stuff to shame. I did read somewhere that the dual core Quad processors aren't all they're cracked up to be, since there's little to no software written in a way that can take advantage of it's power. Anyway, once again, any input would be great!

What budget are you looking at?

im a junior it technician in S.A, so although our currency is different, im aware of most hardware specs and performance.
as to your idea of using the quadcore and ddr3, stay away for now. just get yourself a mobo that will be compatible for those upgrades later on

To be honest I was hoping to spend no more than $1,200 total on this computer, but I'd be much more happy in the $900 range. With that said, I'm just guessing that a $250-$300 Mobo would be reasonable...

ok, unforetunately im not going to be able to give prices because im working at the moment, but here are some tips.

try for an asus mobo with core2duo 1333fsb compatibility
ddr2 800mhz ram, at least a gig if your looking into gaming
400watt powersupply
look for a gcard you find decent and give me the details, same for the cpu

Alright, I'm looking at this right now, but it is only my first attempt... I could go for better quality hardware if I need it, but I'd much rather go lower than what I listed so I can save money! How does this look?

- ASUS P5E Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6750
- GeForce 7800 GTX Video Card
- 2GB DDR2 PC-5400

well well well

not too shabby! you'll beat mine with that, and i play almost everything on very high graphics

if u are willing to wait just a little while there will be 8800GT out that can be found and u would have a whole lot better video card.

Well what kind of system are you running Teranius? Maybe I will find yours better for my interests.

As far as the 8800GT goes, I think I like your idea. But for the moment, I decided to run a lower video card so I could save money, with still being able to get my computer running. My current PC has been down for 2 months and this new one will not be complete until the middle of January. So I'm on gaming withdrawls and just want to get it running. If I went with the 8800GT, I would probably have to add two more months before I could get it this PC finished. So I'll have to upgrade later!

Thanks for the feedback!

most of system details are filled in on my profile so you can check it there. if you cant let me know and i'll post it here

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that your computer runs games very good at high graphics because mine will be very similar to yours! Thanks for all the feedback and ideas, now I know what I want to buy and only need to save the money lol

next I need to find out the difference in these RAM types...

What is the difference between "DDR2 SDRAM" and "DDR2 RDRAM"?
What is the difference between "ECC" and "Non-ECC" RAM?
What is the difference between "PC 5400" and "PC2 5400" RAM?

ECC is error correcting circuits, or error correcting code, or error correction code.

ECC RAM can dectect an error in a 64-Bit block of the RAM and keep going without even knowing that the problem occurred. I'm almost sure most RAM nowadays is ECC.

Non-ECC ram will freak if there is a problem, i experienced this alot with the Non-ECC RAM in my old iMac.

SDRAM is synchronous dynamic ram

SDRAM has a synchronous interface, which means it waits for a clock signal before responding to control inputs. its operation is more complex than DRAM because DRAM does not have synchronizing control circuits.

all i really know about RDRAM is that it means Rambus Dynamic RAM, developed by Rambus corporation.

as for the PC-5400 and the PC2-5400 im not sure at all, i know if it DDR2 im pretty sure it'll run the same slot as say a PC-5400 stick would.

Im currently taking the classes on this stuff at our local community college so
im learning as i go lol (w00t for dual enrollment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back