TechSpot

New MPEG standard cuts video bandwidth requirements in half

By Shawn Knight
Aug 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new MPEG video standard called High Efficiency Video Coding claims to be twice as efficient as current standards which essentially means that we can expect to download movies twice as fast as before. The format will be able to……

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +93

That's really incredible news... but also means I have to reconvert all my discs for the media server... :(

3. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +42

Lol... You don't have to imagine, look at any high quality HD video source that isn't streaming...

You certainly don't have to, but you could make more efficient use of your storage space if you did.

4. Great news! Another step forward in getting rid of outdated media providers.
    Now when google's fiber become wide-spread...well power is shifting.
    So long NewsCorp!

5. mls067

mls067 TS Enthusiast Posts: 27   +10

very interesting news. This gives cable companies another reason to lower data caps to keep everyone in check so they continue using their services rather than a streaming service. Gotta kill competition you know! ;)

6. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +11

I don't believe any cable company who has instituted caps has lowered them.

7. penn919

penn919 TS Booster Posts: 179   +19

His point was that since this new codec lowers the required bandwidth for streaming, cable companies might lower the bandwidth caps in order to kill their competition in the on-demand video rental/sale business. While I suspect he was somewhat joking, I actually don't doubt for a second that this will in fact happen if the new format catches on.

8. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +11

Caps will never, ever go down. While it may take ages for them to go UP, the FCC and FTC would be all over them if they lowered existing caps. (I'm excluding the ISPs who go from unlimited to a usage-based model.)

9. mls067

mls067 TS Enthusiast Posts: 27   +10

I was somewhat joking, but the wireless phone companies are/have already done this as a " benefit" to the consumer. You know, to keep the incredible low percent of people who abuse it from somehow slowing down the network thus hurting performance on the average end users devices...now that was sarcasm, somewhat ;-)

10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

Now that I have an HTPC, halving the disk space taken by a movie means something to me.

11. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Wonder when we'll see it supported on media players (VLC, PotPlayer, MPC, etc)

12. Well, at least in theory this should free up half the space on it!

13. penn919

I hope you're right, but I think you greatly under estimate the power of big Corp.

14. I hope you're right, but I think you greatly under estimate the power of big Corp?
    Methinks you have a cork leg matey!

15. penn919

So everyone who streams movies are pirates?

16. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +15

Surely not? :confused:

17. /facepalm to anyone stupid enough to think the "big isp's" will not try to twist anything to make them more $$$$$

If you think the 250gb+ cap from comcast was bad (and they are notorious for f'ing their customers).. check out the BS in Canada...

Thankfully I'm one of those smart enough to have kicked all of those greedy bastards to the curb years ago.