New MSI 6800GT giving me MAJOR problems...I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmuxfpaxn

Hello all,

Recently I purchased the supplies for a new computer from Newegg and as the package arrived I eagerly put everything together. To my dismay, it took nearly 6 hours to install windows XP. Yes, six hours. I ran diagnostics and came to the conclusion that it was either my motherboard or my CPU, so I sent both back to be exchanged for a new product, sure enough, when they got here I put them in and they worked like a charm. XP installed in just over 30 minutes and things were looking up, this is when I hit the problem. Upon booting the computer, I make it to the windows splash screen (scrolling blue bars) and it get 3/4 of the way across (the blue bars do) before coming to a stop. Once they stop the computer simply hangs and I cannot ctrl+alt+del or press escape (as some have suggested). I've gone into safe mode and installed the drivers for my motherboard and for my graphics card, but to no avail. Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? The only thing that I can think of would be my video card drivers, but that's just speculation. Thank you so much for your time and help. Also, here are my system specs:

450W power supply
ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
single stick of 512 MB kingston RAM
MSI GeForce 6800GT 256MB 8X video card
80 gig Western Digital HD
CD R/W
DVD R/W

Again, windows has installed just fine, it's just whenever I try and boot up. I've reinstalled windows a couple of times and it runs fine in safe mode. I'm just stumped and was hoping you guys could help

I thank you sincerely,
charlie

does your keyboard work properly ??
did you install any symantec softwrae before???
I had similar situation , I probably can help....

It turned out to be that the jumpers on the CD burner were wrong. Moving that damned little plastic thing changed it all. It's been running like a dream ever since.

It was quite a shock when I got this e-mail, lol. It's been a loooong time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back