TechSpot

New Old guy here

By TonyK
Feb 2, 2005
  1. Hello to everyone, my name is Tony, I live near Chicago and I am a semi-techie.

My background is graduate of Control Data Corporation's computer & electronics tech. program, graduated 1986 and was mostly trained on mainframes. For personal reasons, I did not persue computer repair, and instead, worked as a service tech in other fields, as I am still today.

I have experience in web page creation, graphics, animations, and have been online since 1993. I have been on IRC previously, thought others how to use it, but have not been on IRC for many many years. Was one of the first to get ICQ when it first came out, and have since stopped using it after it became more and more complicated to use.

Have been on Yahoo since 1996, have created "clubs", now known as "groups" on Yahoo, and have been on Yahoo messenger since it first came out.

So, my computing experience is broad, but after many years of being online, I got a bit fed up with it all and stayed off. Now, since late 2003, I've been sloly back on line and changed computers. I would like to some day get back to web design, and perhaps once again teach people how to use computers and the internet, but I need some fresh information to get myself up to speed.

So, here I am, on this "Techspot" with a need for a question to be answered (see my post earlier tonight) and hopes of possibly meeting some of you online and acquire some of that needed uptospeed info.

I am sure there might be some information I can share with you as well from my work experience. I have twelve years experience in home appliance repair, and have worked on some home repairs and electrical repairs. Presently, I am working on vending equipment, such as, soda machines, food dispensing machines, snack machines, and large sized coffee machines.

If we get to talk, I may not know something that pretains to computing or hardware, but I can assure you I'll pick it up and do my best to understand. My electronics and electrical background, along with my software experience, will give me a clearer understanding than someone without any prior experienc.

Hope to get to talk to some of you and hope I can learn from you who have more experience than me.

Tony

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

Welcome to techspot Tony. There is alot to learn here, but by judging by your expirence, you could teach us a few things. I must say your "resume" is quite impressive!

Sean

3. TonyK

TonyK TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Sean, Thanks for the nice greeting, was unexpected. Sean, honestly, I wasn't trying to impress anyone with my "resume", I was simply trying to qualify my background so I wont appear to those who are really well versed in computing as a total boob. I have forgotten alot from my schooling because I havn't had hands on on mainframe computers. So, I hope I dont appear to overstate my credentials, I just want anyone I talk to about technical stuff to not think Im totally unfamiliar with computing.

Thank you again for taking time to say hello, Im not sure how people get together here, if they do, but if there is a chat or some way to get to know people, Im willing to join in.

Tony

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.