TechSpot

New opportunity for you AMDites to trash Pentium

By hewybo
Apr 22, 2006
  1. Day before yesterday, my P4 3.2 HT, while idling! began a slow, steady rise from from 34 C to 68 C, then hovered artound there. I went to the BIOS, shut down the hyper-threading mode, now it's down to 41-42 C. Is it leaving me? I know, they run hot. But my Arctic Cooling Freezer7 had been holding it steady below 35.

Any input (BESIDES socket 939)?? :confused:

2. connerwayne

connerwayne TS Rookie Posts: 46

Good Contact?

Do you have agood contact with the heatsink? If you dont have any, go out and buy some Arctic Silver 5 (AS5) thermal compound. Clean the proc and HS thouroughly, and apply a small amount of AS5 to the center of the proc. It could be that there was a dead spot where there was no compund.

Also, I've seen multiple postings that suggest there are problems with hyperthreading, and that there is no real performance decrease from disabling it. Can you verify that? Do you have a decrease/increase in FPS while gaming? Are load times slower/the same while multi-tasking?

Good Luck,

Wayne

3. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 435

maybe a little

As this was not my first experience, I'm reasonably sure the AC5 is applied correctly. If this keeps up, though, I'll be checkin it.

As for HT, it could be my imagination, but page-lloading does seem a mite slower without, but that doesn't really make sense, as HT should only come into play while multi-tasking. I'm kkinda concentrating on the heat problem right now, but when I put it back to work, I'll let ya know if it's substantially different than before.

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Sounds like CPU fan has stopped spinning.

5. connerwayne

connerwayne TS Rookie Posts: 46

Just a thought

Have you tried urinating on it? Ive heard that helps in some situations... Like athletes foot for the mobo.... oh boy, forgive me, Im up way past my bed time!

But seriously, HT is controlled by the BIOS, and if its disabled the temps are stable.... how about flashing the BIOS?

Wayne

6. hadoud76

hadoud76 TS Rookie Posts: 41

"while idilling''

Excuse me, did you say while idiling, this is really funny, and then you tell me that the CPU went to 68C but how the hell it went down when you shut down hyper threading mode while you didnt have in the computer not a single thread in procession!

7. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Is the hyper threading thing really related to temp rise or was this just coincidence? If you do think it is related maybe it's a malicious program ramping up some hidden process and thus loading the CPU. By turning off the HT you disabled the mechanism but did not solve the problem.

Just a thought.

8. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

I don't know how turning off HT could have helped and turning it off will slow things down a little. The Freezer 7 is a great dust collector. Did you blow it out?

9. hewybo

Not HT

The "radiator is clean, The CPU fan is monitored and spinning. It is now creeping upward, regardless of HT setting. Now have case (Aspire X-Infinity) off, with box fan blowing in to maintain 52-57 C.

I currently have the Freezer7 blowing upward toward an 80mm case fan blowing out the top. Guess I'll try turning it to blow to the 120mm fan in the rear. Predictably, Intel support doesn't. Any further ideas?

As for the urination dealie, I've considered it, but I keep thinking about the cowboy electrocuted by the electrically charged fence, and I'd have to leave the system fired up during the process to check the result. You wanna do it for me? :suspiciou

10. Coolmatt

Coolmatt TS Rookie Posts: 66

AMD Time!!! :bounce: :bounce: :giddy:

Intel is DEAD! :unch: :unch: :unch:

11. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

I'll wait for Conroe to be fully evaluated by the wider community before dissing Intel. For now, I'm only recommending AMD.

12. Mirob

It's "safe" to 68c. I had my 530j over 90c, and my AMD 3200+ too. :chef:

If I was you I'd reseat the HSF with new compound, AND make sure all pins a connected tight(push pins can be a pain.) AS5 only last a few years then must be replaced.

13. hewybo

mighta found it

Wasn't worried about "safe" as much as why. The events occurred at idle. Didn't want to wait for shipping, so ran out and bought a CollerMaster Hyper 48 to try- but..... got to watching the tray screen of ProcessExplorer, wondering why the CPU was in the red, also at idle. Turned out to be some process identifier I downloaded, (can't remember the name right now), so I immediately uninstalled it. Hasn't gone above 41C since! Who knew?

My AC5 is only about 4 mos., but I was ready to try anything. Intel RMA is a *****. As I type, it's at 42. Anyone need a CoolerMaster HSF?

Thanks for all the ideas, people. (Came closer to the urination deal than you might think) :knock:

14. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Send me your CoolerMaster. I mean, I'd use it...... :)

15. hewybo

Ok

Sure, OK, but shipping to Prescott is gonna run about $230. Soon as I get your money order, it's IN THE MAIL!! :grinthumb :haha:

16. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Hmm sounds like the Rock was pretty close to the truth here. Aaaaaa?
    :haha:

Glad you got it fixed.

Cheers.

17. hewybo

Yessir!

I bow to your vast and superior knowledge of all thing overheatwise!!!!!

Thanks- :grinthumb

18. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Shipping from Vegas to Prescott? Lol, how about you hop on your bike and bring it to me. lol

ok, well, thread over

19. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

haha :D

that method would have been more fun.. lol :)

20. Mirob

21. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.