New PC - access is denied to My Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellyhead

Just got a new pc Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 1GIG RAM WinXP Pro C: drive is 160GB and using old 40GB hard drive as D: WinXP Home

Problem is even though there I removed the passwords on the user accounts on the D: drive and they are Administrators, I cannot access, copy or cut any of my documents to transfer them to the new C: drive so that I can then re-format the D: drive.

Any ideas? TIA.

Are you currently logged in as Administrator? What are the permissions settings for the folders you are trying to access?

All users on both OS on both drives are logged in as administrators. The folders are not in the shared folders and I can't drag them to it. Is this what you mean by permission settings? If not, please tell me how I check this? Thanks.

see if they are marked Private. In the folder's Properties, click the Sharing Tab, you should see a box that says "make this folder Private" is it checked?

Note: that option may be greyed out on some folders, and it may be checked and greyed out if it is in another folder marked Private.

No none of the folders are marked private. The folders I'm trying to copy from D drive to C drive are actually in XP Home, which doesn't have that option anyway.

hmm, thats odd because I'm looking at another machine here that has XP Home on it, and it has the Sharing tab and that option.

Definitely greyed out. If I try and copy a folder it comes up with the access denied error but then copies only the folder not the contents of the folder.

Can you boot into the old XP-Home? If so, try and copy those files over to a temporary directory or straight to the new C-drive if it lets you. You could also burn those file to a CD while in XP-home.

Alternatively, if your file-system is NTFS, get a W98SE boot-disk, go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and also download the file readntfs.exe (under heading "Windows XP bootdisk sets/File recovery" You'll find an explanation there.

Second alternative: go to http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html and download a free trial PowerDesk. I have had excellent results copying obnoxious files from weird HD's using this prog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back