New pc parts - on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveskater

Hi, i'll dive straight in and say that i think i need a whole new pc. i think something shorted on my mobo and now nothing works, it won't turn on. ?I think the PSU is ok because after it shutdown (it happened whilst it was on) the fans kept rinng, like they're meant to (Enermax PSU).

So i think i need a new mobo and cpu to go with it, and quite possibly a new graphics card. I'm not worrying about RAM too much because i think i'll probably get that from eBay.

Basically i'm asking for advice on what i could buy, but on a pretty tight budget. I was thinking possibly this cpu AMD Sempron 3000+ and this mobo DFI INFINITY NF4X Socket 754 but nothing's definate yet so i'm fairly flexible.

Thanks in advance :D

Oh, i found this on eBay too if it's any good

Socket 754 is quite old. It was replaced by socket 939 which was then replaced by socket AM2. So if you are going to buold an Athlon system, I'd say get socket AM2.

That set thing you found on Ebay is crap ( no offense ) so dont waste money on that...

How much is your budget?

Since your from the UK ( right? ) you cant buy from newegg but i'll give links to the items for a AM2 system and you can search them on Pricegrabber.co.uk or any other site you want

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127013

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103029

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566

Hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

Videocard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056

DVD drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152076

Powersupply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144151

Floppy drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103116

Total: $876 ( dont know how much in £ ) with shipping

If you want to find your items on your own just post them here and we will see if they will work together! :D

i think i forgot to say before buti think my powersupply's ok but i'll take it up to pc world or maplin or something and get them to check it over. with any luck i'll just need mobo and cpu but you never know. it'll be mostly used for internet and photo and audio editing and playing music etc but some gaming (counter strike source mainly :D) i would say video editing but i haven't done that for at least a year and a half so we can leave that out i suppose :D

don't worry, no offence taken, it's better to know that it's no good than pay good money for it

i'm not quite sure what my budget is because i haven't been paid yet and i have barely any money left but anything that's good enough to meet my needs at the lowest price possible is what i'm aiming for.

are socket AM2 parts very expensive? if they're not then i might as well go for the lastest stuff but like i say i'm not too fussy as long as it does the job.

oh, and could anybody take a guess as to whether my hdd(s) will be ok or not? i'm hoping they are because my life, so to speak, is on them :D

thanks for the quick respose guys :grinthumb

oh and while i remember, as far as i can tell my case is ok so i really only need the basics. but i'll see if i can get it up to a shop this week to see what they say.

LOL, if you take your psu to pc world or maplin they will probably say "er, wot's that then?"

I was in a pc world shop once, i was standing right in front of some pc cases that had no prices on them, i asked a staff member how much the pc cases are and he replied " i don't think we sell any"!
This IS a true story!!!

hahaha no way well the only other think i can think of is my friend's dad because he builds pcs (built mine originally) but he'll tell me to get a whole new everything and get me to buy things i don't want at the highest ever price so i'll try and avoid that for now :D and he'll try insulting me for breaking it so it's not the first route of choice

i don't think there are really any other pc shops etc around here, the only one i can think of is an apple mac one so that's not really any good. oh i just remembered another one but i don't know if they'll take it in to have a look or not, i'll have to ask. i think it's either a small independant shop or a lesser known chain.

lol yeah Rik, most computer shops are run by 5 year olds :haha: Plus why would you need to go to a Computer shop to get a computer built for you when you can do it for free and get instructions from us! :D

Also Dave AM2 systems are pretty good, Many gamers use those because they can be cheaply made and run all the best stuff :D

Your Hard drives might work, do you know what kind they are?

all i really know about my hard drives are that they're ide ones :D one's ntfs and the other fat32 (had it a long time) but i doubt that makes any difference. if you need anything more complicated than that then i could open the pc up and have a look

oh i just found this motherboard on pricerunner which is AM2 if it's any good, the next one on the list is an Asus one i think but we'll try this ones first, eh

yeah i haven't heard of them either, but the asus one is only a couple of pounds more so it might be better to go for that one.

what do you think of the condition of my other cards, firewire, lan, video etc, dwill they all need to be replaced? obviously lan is included in most mobo's now but i'm mainly thinking about video card and firewire.

i've had a look round ebuyer.co.uk and added things to my basket to see how much it would cost, and i've added MSI K9NGM-L nForce 410 Socket AM2 SATA mobo, Sempron 2800 1.6GHz 256kb L2 cache AM2 cpu, Asus Nvidia 7300GS 256MB PCI-E video card, Western Digital WD1600JS Caviar SE 160GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 hdd, Safecom PCI Firewire 1394A Card and Ebuyer 512MB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5400 240pin Extra Value Ram. All of this comes to £154.24 which is $302.300 apparently. I might be ok without the firewire because the mobo has USB2 and i only really wanted the firewire for my iPod so it might be cheaper to get a USB2 cable. But either way, that's the sort of thing i'd look at if all of it checks out to be any good. I've left out fans etc because my old ones should be ok, and as far as i'm aware a heatsink/fan comes with cpu's but i may need to be corrected.

Asrock is a wholly owned subsidiary of Asustek. Asustek makes Asus branded components while Asrock is a lower cost value brand. However, I don't know if their manufacturing plants are separate entities or not.

oh right, they should be ok then.

at the moment though i'm looking at an MSI boad with nVidia chipset. i'm going to get my pc checked out by a friend who won't be in it for the money ;) so we'll see what he says and i'll let you know

If Intel isn't out of the question, investigate a 775 board with a p4 3.0 HT (which can be overclocked like another 1GHz, but I haven't messed with it). Since the dual core stuff has arrived, the stuff is a bargain. I play Half Life 2 full throttle at 2800x1050 resolution with a 7600GT video card, and it looks great. Of course, you may need better-than-stock cooling, or at least arctic silver thermal grease instead of the stuff that comes stock. I may mention, this is the first Intel system I've owned, and I am pleased.

i'm not completely ruling out anything, i just figured that amd was generally cheaper. if i could get what you're suggesting for about the same price or lower than the amd stuff then it's ok by me :D

---
i've just been looking around on ebuyer for an intel setup so i changed the mobo to a 775 equivalent and changed the processor to an Intel Celeron D 2.66 GHz and i save £10, which could make all the difference. we'll fine out tomorrow how much i'm getting paid because i don't remember how much overtime i've done ;)

making the amd setup to a socket 754 makes it even less, but it just depends if 754 is worth looking at, seeing as i've been reccomended AM2

ASRock is a decent motherboard. We use a lot of them in our lower and middle end builds, and have not had one fail yet... tech support is good. Better than some name brands.

Firstly you need to troubleshoot and find out whats wrong ,,

Also youll be set with any processor AMD 2ghz and up or Intel 3Ghz and up,

ok well that's good to know
i'm trying to keep to as low costs as possible and i don't nessescarily need the best kit around, pretty much just anything that will do
i'm having the pc looked at tomorrow to see exactly what's gone. i wouldn't be surprised if it was the mobo because nothing happens when i press the on button but all in all it's a good excuse to upgrade :D

good news!

i have some good news to throw at this thread, my pc is up and working again, turns out it was the psu :D
i'm borrowing a psu so obviously i have to get a new one and i was looking at this coolermaster one

since i don't have to try and scrape together for a whole new pc now i'll save up and get one next month possibly
thanks for the help though guys, i may come back to this thread in future when looking for a whole pc
one thing i'd like to know though, what's better, 64 bit or dual core? i'd assume dual core, but you never know...

Yes, I have seen a LOT of bad Enermax and OCZ power supplies... a Good brand name identification doesn't mean anything. Too many are still those slapped together by the millions in China... then marketed in a nice box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back