Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs:

Asus AV8 Deluxe MB
AMD Athlon 3000 skt 939
Corsair 1 Gig PC3200
2 WD HD'S in a master slave config
Diamond Stealth 9600 256 meg Video AGP

When i boot up my PC without a hard drive connected everything is ok, it posts normally then beeps due to no hard drive being detected. If I hook a hard drive into the Primary IDE slot the PC will not post, nothing happens actually no video nothing. I have tested power supply with tester, everything is normal, I can hook my DVD burner into the Primary IDE and it will detect it and boot up normally, it only happens when I hook a hard drive to the Primary IDE. I have not tried hooking it up to the Secondary IDE, when hooking it up I have pulled the jumpers off the drives and tried them one at a time, it does not matter which drive I try it acts the same with either drive. Both HD'S worked fine in my previous computer. I have taken the MB out of the case placed on static bag, same results occur with it out of the case as with it in the case. Does anyone have any ideas, I am assuming the MB is bad, but weird that the Primary IDE will work normally with the DVD burner hooked to it. I'd rather not go through the return process and have to wait, especially if Asus tests it and they say the board is fine.

What jumper setting is your hd on? It should be master if it's the only drive, it also should be connected to the connector on the end of the cable(not the middle). That's all I can think of. You could maybe get it to work(and not have to replace the mobo if you use a sata drive, if it supports sata). I think I'd rma it if you can't get it working, it should work, it's new, it should be able to do what it's advertised to do.

MB works if I plug HD'S to Sec IDE

I had the jumper set to master and also no jumper at all. I put the MB back in the case hooked both HD'S to the secondary IDE and it boots up fine, so definitely something screwy with the primary IDE, but once I got everything loaded back up on my OS HD, the onboard LAN is not making a connection, so I RMA'D the hunk of junk, hopefully the next one they send me will work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back