New PC won't post or do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought some new upgrades from newegg, new mobo asus A8N-SLI Deluxe retail, AMD 64 3700 retail, XFX Geforce 7600 GT, new harddrive, Antec truepower 2 500 PSU. I have installed pc's before and this is my first time running into problems. I plug everything in also making sure i dont tighten the screws on the mobo to the case too tight. Upon power up I dont hear anything but the fans from the PSU and the fan on the heatsink. I'm also using a wireless keyboard and mouse and try to hold down delete key upon power up and nothing happens. i'm really stump and would love any help possible. I may try to resink the ram again but any other suggestions would help a lot. Also the only way for me to shut down the pc is by hitting the off switch in the back of the PSU or unplugging the power cord.

hi and welcome to techspot :)

it could be ...
1.) a motherboard short circuit
2.) damaged, incompatible, or incorrectly installed RAM
3.) damaged, incompatible, or incorrectly installed video card
4.) bad motherboard

check your RAM first (test each stick independantly), then remove and re-seat your video card.

if it still won't boot after that then remove the mobo from the case and lay it on a flat non-static surface (i.e. cardboard box or the anti-static bag it came shipped in). verify that you used metal standoffs only where there is a corresponding mounting hole on the mobo, any other location will ground out the mobo where it shouldn't be grounded.

if all standoffs match with the proper mounting holes, then hook up the CPU/HSF, 1 stick of RAM, video card, and PSU and nothing else. if your parts are compatible and in working order you shoot be able to get video.

if you get video after that, then add 1 component at at time in the order of keyboard, mouse, HDD, optical drive, remaining RAM, expansion cards. if it all works fine outside the case then install it in the case again.

thanks king,

i actually tried all of the above and it doesn't seem to work. I contacted newegg and they graciously agree to replace all my parts with zero restocking fee. No wonder I love newegg so much since they were formerly Egghead, great company.

yes, newegg is very good about that kind of thing

hopefully the new parts solve your problem, good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back