New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpbradley

I am no big gamer, I use my pc for mainly just surfing the web downloading from newsgroups and I am building a new one and just priced some parts on Newegg. I don't need HD's, DVD drives or a video card so I would just like some feedback on what I chose for parts

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail

I really like your choices of parts but with what you want to do with your PC build you can still purchase quality parts for less money.

If you want a Quad core consider AMD's Propus (620, 630) line. For $99 ithe 620can't be beat and there are a number of AM3 Asus boards that are less expensive and will meet yopur need. Gigabyte is another excellent choice.

The AMD X3 720 has excellent reviews and for $120 is another cpu you could consider.

You might want to check out Corsair's line of power supllies.

When it comes to memory and ASUS boards make sure that the memory you choose is on Asus' recommendation list for your motherboard model. Asus boards are very picky about what RAM will run on said board.

Also, when choosing the board make sure the memory will function with the motherboard's parameters.

Unless I misunderstood the specs of your motherboard, don't you have to overclock the system to support that RAM speed? If so, you don't need that for mostly web surfing and related activities.

I just want a fast machine I have no patience and like to have a reliable system. I am going to look into the recommendations Route 44 has given, I hope I do not need to overclock because I am not comfortable doing that.

You won't have to overclock. What mailpup was pointing out is that the RAM you listed is 1600 but the board supports RAM at 1333 and only if you OC will it handle 1600 speed.

Alright I hope this is better

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

If you know of better for my needs please advise me of the parts..

Thanks in advance

Ok. I like the components, but I suggest that you look into a slightly cheaper build if all you'll be doing is surfing and downloading.

I'd suggest these:

CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz - $60.99
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - $79.99
RAM - G.SKILL 2 x 1GB DDR3 1333 - $54.99
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W - $49.99

That's a total of $245.96.

It saves you a lot of cash over the previous one. In case you're determined to go for a quad core (which you won't really require) then check out the Athlon II X4 series.

Note: In case you're looking for a motherboard that has onboard video then I would suggest the BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 that comes for the same price.

Rit, I was just about to contact you to look in on this possible build especially siince you have the X3 720 and you are pleased with it.

@ kpbradley - can you think of anything else that you might be doing in the future with your PC besides what you listed. I too like your components in your most recent list.

Hi Route! All of the OP's builds look good. But they are a little too powerful for his requirements. Unless he has plans to do anything further with this system I see no reason for him to get components more expensive than I've listed. Also, if he doesn't have a video card he'll have to get that Biostar 790GX board as the Gigabyte does not have onboard VGA.

I don't really do much more then listed, I chose the other components listed because I am always multitasking and my old pc was always crashing, freezing and always slow. That is why I don't mind spending some extra money for better parts.

From the build I suggested just swap the CPU with the Athlon II X4 620. That should do everything perfectly. Rest is up to you.

Try these for a change -

PSU - ENERMAX Tomahawk ETK500AWT 500W - $69.99

MB - MSI 770-C45 AM3 - $79.99

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz - $99.00

RAM - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $88.99

They may not be all really popular, but I built a few systems using them, and I can tell you the following:

PSU comes with Japanese-made capacitors, and it's rock solid from all points of view. For your needs, it will surely be more than enough.

MB is a good choice even for the average overclocker, and offers a lot for its price. What I like about MSI's low- and mid-budget boards is the fact that they come with a lot of useful BIOS options, while most ASUS boards are really lame there (for example, low-end boards that won't allow you to set memory timings AT ALL, and I won't even mention the CrossFire board I got for my wife that won't allow to set memory timings even after the latest BIOS update... and that wasn't exactly a low-end board)

CPU is best bang for your buck when it comes to quads, and there's plenty of room for overclocking, if you ever feel the need for speeeeed...

RAM may not be really popular, but A-Data uses really good chips to manufacture its memory kits (I ran my A-Data DDR2 800+ kit @ ~1000MHz and 4-4-4-12 CR2 timings@2.1V!!! ... and that was STABLE!)

O.K, I took a look at all suggestions and came up with this I think I am set on this but would like to know am I going to have to do any overclocking?

MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
140W Phenom II, DDR3 1600+, Easy OC

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ550WFGIBOX - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail

Overclocking is not essential. However, that CPU (Phenm II X2 550 BE) is capable of exceptionally high clock speeds when OC'd and also has the potential of unlocking 2 more cores. I'd still go with the X4 620 as it's cheaper and works almost as well.

"Potential" doesn't mean the X2 can be unclocked for sure. Depends on your luck and your mainboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back