New Pentium D CPU - Help me build a system around it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just acquired an Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz at a tradeshow and was hoping that some other folks out there who have put a system together around this chip can make some suggestions on MOBO/RAM and a decent PCI Express Video Card (ATI chip based preferred).

I'd like to spend about $130 or so on the mobo and need some IDE support there (don't want to have to out and buy all new drives - I already have 3 X 160GB 7200RPM's that are relatively new) and don't really need any RAID, but if the mobo supports RAID0 + 1, then that's fine.

On the RAM side - need 1 GB in dual channel and would like to spend around $100 for that.

Video card - would definitely like something nice for gaming, but really don't want to spend more than $120-150.

Any suggestions?

I do believe you need a motherboard based around either the i955X chipset (for which the lowest priced motherboard from a reputable brand is $180 for the AW8 by Abit*) or the nForce4 (for which the lowest priced motherboard from a reputable brand is $129 for the GA-8N-SLI Pro by Gigabyte).

2x 512mb PC3200 DDR-II will cost about $132.

*: the i955X chipset only supports 2 IDE devices in all so be warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back