New person

By jwilson524
May 31, 2005
  1. Hi,
    Looking forward to learning some new computer tricks and figuring out how to fix my darn computer. I have an E Machine and I've noticed they are not to popular on the boards. It shut down and I can't get it to reboot at all. I re formated my hard drive and that has not helped. The computer will not reboot in safe mode or any other mode for that matter. It gets stuck while loading. So, I'm hoping to figure out what is wrong with the darn thing.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and read my post.

Once we have more info about your system, and some background info. I.E what exactly happens when you try to boot the machine? When did this problem first start? Try and be as specific as possible, so that we can help you figure out whats wrong.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

Howard is right, untill we get more info there is little we can do...But have you tried resting the BIOS jumper? Good luck

4. jwilson524

jwilson524 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay, I went and updated my user profile. Here is the problem my system would just shut down and re-boot. This has been happening since I bought it in 2002. Not to often. Just in the last month it has happened daily, numerous of times. I couldn't hardly get online and do any research without it shutting down. I started getting a device driver error. It stated that a device driver was caught in a loop. I looked up the error on Microsoft and their explanation couldn't tell me what device was causing the error. And I'm not sure how to figure out which device it is. So, I decided to reformat the computer back to factory settings. That didn't help. So, I decided to reformat again and this time I cannot even boot up in safe mode. It will start and then the screen gets stuck on a line and locks up. I cannot turn of the computer with the power button. I click off the power strip and when I turn the power strip back on the computer comes back on. I think the power button on the tower is busted too.
  5. jwilson524

jwilson524 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I updated my user profile like you suggested and then I added on to my post my problem. I have already checked the repairing xp board and am going to try some things tonight on the computer. Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
  6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

You might want to consider downloading and running Memtest86+ from

If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Let it run for at least seven passes. This will let you know if you`ve got a ram problem.

Regards Howard :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.