New Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightowl

I ordered it on Monday, and it arrived yesterday. There sure are alot of wires with this one. I am going to attemp to put it in tonight. Is there any thing I should be on the watch for? The instructions are pretty vague.

Ground yourself! Be careful of wires stuck in devices, and look and make sure that you new psu has no frayed/stripped wires. Good Luck!

Is there any thing I should be on the watch for?

Connect all the cables.

LoL, that's the best advice I can give for installing a power supply.

But seriously, make sure you count the number of cables you take out when removing your old power supply, and that you are plugging in the same number of cables you unplugged with your new one.

To make it easier, manufacturers made all the cables only fit in one way, which is the correct way. So if it's not going in, don't push it.

Good luck :)

And make sure you connect the 4-pin ATX12V power connector. It's usually near the CPU socket.

I had to disconnect that one to put in the new ram, and forgot to plug it in when I was done. No screen, but I just shut it off and pluggged it in, restarted it, and no problem. I see a problem right away with the new PSU. There is a socket on it that says ATX 24 pin only. My board does have that socket, but only 20 pins are plugged in The bottom 4 do not haveany wires going to them, so in essence my plug is only for 20. I don't know what will happen if I plug that 24 pin socket into it. It will fit, no problem, but I don't know what those 4 bottom pins go to. I am not taking the board out to see.:confused:

All done and running fine. I had to get some tech support before I started to make sure it wasn't going to fry my motherboard if I used it. One person from gateway, said it was wrong, the other from EMachines said it would work okay. I got his name and badge number, so if things went south, someone was going to pay. He said he would cover it, if anything happened. Man is there a pile of wires in there. I have the 300 left now, so maybe I will try to sell it on ebay. Nothing wrong with it, but it was just a little small, and someone on here told me to get a new one for what I wanted to do. Thanks again.

Richard

Nightowl said:
I see a problem right away with the new PSU. There is a socket on it that says ATX 24 pin only. My board does have that socket, but only 20 pins are plugged in The bottom 4 do not haveany wires going to them, so in essence my plug is only for 20. I don't know what will happen if I plug that 24 pin socket into it. It will fit, no problem, but I don't know what those 4 bottom pins go to. I am not taking the board out to see.:confused:

Take a look at this image:

17-104-934-11.JPG

Just remove those four pins, and you should be fine :)

I contacted EMachines before I inserted the plug, and they said they get alot of those questions. So far, I haven't noticed any problems, other than all the wires I though about cuting off the ones I really don't think I will ever use, and just put an electrical wire nut on the end, but I thought better of that. I am sure it would work. I did see a 6 hole male socket that must be used for the new graphics board, when I install it?

I had this problem with the extra 4 pins when swapping out a dead power supply and with the new PSU being a cheap and cheerfull make, didnt wanna splash out if it was more than one problem like the mobo etc, Suffice to say it wasnt just the PSU. You say remove those 4 pins? I take it they will not work in the 4pin connector?

Cpt_Subtext said:
I had this problem with the extra 4 pins when swapping out a dead power supply and with the new PSU being a cheap and cheerfull make, didnt wanna splash out if it was more than one problem like the mobo etc, Suffice to say it wasnt just the PSU. You say remove those 4 pins? I take it they will not work in the 4pin connector?
It worked fine for me. I just left the plug alone, and plugged it in. This came from my computer customer service tho. I gave them my board number, and they said no problem to plug it in. I had the 4 extra pins, and my board had the 24 pin socket, only the last 4 wern't used. I was afraid if I plugged it in, it might fry it, but the guy I talked to, said there was no problem, and they get alot of those same calls. He even said if it did any harm, he would make it right, and buy and install a new board. So far all is good. I don't know if those 4 pins are being used for anything or not, but I am not going to pull the board to see what is behind it. I would say to check with your computer customer service first tho.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back