New Processor = Low Fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so yesterday i got a new processor and it didn't change my fps at all and sometimes it goes lower can anyone help me?

AMD Phenom 9500 Processor

Nvidia XFX 9800gt Graphics Card

650 watt PSU

M2N-SLI Motherboard

2 G's of ram

Alright so my problem is i seem to be getting really low frames (30-90) in games like css left 4 dead cod4 and tf2 with my new processor which really doesn't make sense, can anyone help me?

What was your old processor? Phenom Quad cores are not really the shizzle when it comes to playing games :)

Also the phenom 9500 came with a free built in error!! ( i own one ) Its called the tlb eratum which can cause machine crashes in very very very rare cases. Most motherboards will disable your tlb to stop this happening, And take away around 10 % of your processors grunt.

You can enable your tlb in several diffrent ways, Through your bios, through amd overdrive, or through software provided by your mobo manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

AMD Phenom 9500 Processor
That processor sux...should have posted a thread about a new processor rather than why its slowing you down xD.

Try typing this into your CSS config, though it is likely it will not help:
Code:
r_3dnow "1" 
r_sse "1"
r_sse2 "1" 
r_mmx "1"

I would not say it sucked.. I would say that the games you have listed will always work better on a faster single core processor than a quad core. Simply because they were realeased a good few years before the quad core was, And therefore wont take advantage of it.

Try benchmarking a game like crysis, flight sim x, or cryostasis against a dual core and see the results..

Its not the processor, its crappy programming on the game manufacturers part.

Download a core usage meter and you will see what i mean... Core 3 works his little chips off while the rest sit idle...

I would not say it sucked.. I would say that the games you have listed will always work better on a faster single core processor than a quad core. Simply because they were realeased a good few years before the quad core was, And therefore wont take advantage of it.
You logically say it isn't the best choice and provide facts most people don't care to know, and i'll simply say it sux for all gaming intents and purposes :). I hear it sill has potential in video work because of the lowered price.

30-90 fps isnt bad for the vga you have, why are you expecting more, the bulk of your graphics work is done by...your graphics card. The CPU isnt going to help much besides a faster frequency, not more cores unless you're playing a game that is optimized to utilize multiple cores simultaneously.

To be honest.. i get around 60 to 90 fps using the same proc and a bfg gtx 275... (@1440 x 900, all settings maxed out..)

I always presumed i was being bottlenecked by my cpu.. or the fact im running the 64 bit version of the game?

Edit: Just discovered if i disable my vsync i get around 200 fps :)

Games are better off on a high clock speed dual core processor than on a low clock speed quad core.these games dont utilize more than 2 threads.

The newer games do..

Supreme commader can utilise up to 16 cores!
Alan wake is quad optimised
Crysis
Flight simulator x
Cryostasis
And lots and lots of others, Plus most games in development today will also..

Go google.. If you want future proof, get a quad. Or even better a 6 core nehalem.

the games that will be developed in future will definitely utilize multiple cores.
the 6 core nehalem isnt out yet

i dont think crysis supports more than 2 cores.it is more of gpu intensive rather than cpu intensive.

Your quad core at 2.2 GHz is slower than a higher clocked dual core in games because they only recognize two cores ATM. If gaming is your main reason for your PC then a higher speed dual core is the way to go for now. This is why you lost FPS in games.

Higher clocks are the way to go no question. I'm pretty sure if I couldnt have oc'd my i7 so far I wouldnt have bought it, and just went with a wolfdale. Honestly imo its a bad time to buy a quad, at least one that matters( 9650+) because intel is trying to make their entire line 4 cores or higher by 2010, replacing core 2 duo chips with 4 core i3/i5 chips, and leaving the high end stuff for the enthusiast.

Crysis is in fact more gpu intensive and it doesnt handle multiple threads like flight sim x, being able to hold up to 4.

I own a i7 and a core 2(6750@4.1ghz) so imo dont buy a quad now, buy a cheap something to hold you over until mid next year then go quad when amd is forced to push their prices even lower, or the market is flood with so many amd and intel cpus that the quads will be just as much as a low end core 2 d today.

Or maybe we are all wrong and in the future we will see systems like the nvidea tesla, With massive 960 core in parralel gpu processing, and support for 12000 threads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back