New Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lvimpala70

Just got the athlon X2 3800 Dual Core today. Got it for 90 bucks! My 3200 single core was a lot more than that when I first got it. I have been hearing that AMD is most likely coming out with a new and faster chip! Anyone else hear if it is faster or just as fast as Inel's Quad chip?

It will be awhile, and is still not expected to be competitive with the Intel Core 2 Duo.... AMD has their work cut out for them... they are stretched a bit too thin with the acquisition of ATI

Ati

I think thier cards ar inferior to NVIDIA, I have a ATI now and it is stable with mild overclock. But my old NVIDIA 5500 I had it way over clocked and it was real stable. I Think AMD will have some work to do but as far as what you get for the price, They are far superior at that aspect. I just hope they haven't hit a ceiling of performance with thier chips. I would love the NVIDIA 8800 but I don't want to put out the money.

ATI/AMD are definitely falling behind within the past year or so. It seems that the company merge has only hurt them when it comes to progress with new products. Not to mention, it has only made their video cards and processors drop to unbelievable prices.

Will Gaming improve

I have seen mixed reviews about going from single to dual core and gaming performance. Will I see any increase in frame rates?

Eventually.....

When more and more multi-core processors are in the market, I'm sure the game writers will respond in force.

However, everybody's got their hands full right now just trying to their @#$% to run on Vista.

I seen some reports on C2D custom computers with frame rates as high as 300 FPS! (1024 x 768). But, you know yourself that wasn't done with integrated graphics. More on the order of $500.00 graphics cards configured as SLI.

Well, No Vista For The Time Being......

Within the next year, Vista will unfortunately become harder and harder to avoid.
What exactly are the options for a single core processor at the moment?

More than likely only the Cedar Mill Celerons & P4s will remain in Intel's line.

The enthusiast community is not being catered to as much as they want to believe with regards to new processors. Before you try to rebut that statement, consider this.

Yes, there are still extreme editions of CPUs. Yes the new Intels are overclockable, but at the end of the day these are headed for high speed servers. The commercial market has more revenue to tap into than us guys.

The major car manufacturers maintain racing divisions (which operate at a loss), so that the status of being in the winners circle will translate to success at the dealerships.

The Intel C2Ds are partly earmarked for the HTPC market, high speed movie downloading and such. You have to admit, at least as many people watch movies as play games.

So, back to my original question, what are the options for a single core processor these day? I say if you can find one, grab it, they're probably not going to be around much longer.

Intel has never had greater success than what they have experienced in the past year. They are not going to stop doing the things that make them money, including the scheduled processor manufacturing output they have already announced. When AMD finally comes out with a competitive processor for the Core 2 Duo, they will have a response. Where intel is having trouble is with the low power, low heat small device processors, and the industrial grade processors now being produced by a number of companies. Thus their announcement wiht Microsoft last week of simple dedicated computer systems that enable entire companies to buy low priced network computers with all identical systems for a specific set of tasks.
Our only hope is that AMD gets their act together soon. Without competition, Intel can do what it darn well pleases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back