New PSU not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNS1310

Ok, I thought this was a easy repair...I must be missing something simple.
I just bought this...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006.
Ran the 20 pin to the motherboard, 4 pin to the motherboard, hooked up the 4 pins to my 2 hard drives and 2 cd-roms, ran the fans all the extras and got nothing when I turned it on.
I took it all apart and put it together twice, making sure everything was tight...got nothing.
Any suggestions? I can post pics or vids of the tower, guts, anything anyone needs to help. Thanks.

Yep. I have a 20-pin connection, so I separated the 20+4 and ran the 20 to the MB. Also connected the 4-pin, which was an 8-pin (separated again) and ran the 4 to the MB.

Is the psu compatible with my mainboard?
au13Big1.jpg

Found this surfing the net, its just about identical (if not the same exact thing) to my motherboard.

Just a shot in the dark so this might not be it. Is your motherboard so old that it requires a -5V rail? Modern PSUs including the one you bought no longer produce that voltage as it is obsolete. I'm not sure how you can tell unless the motherboard manual tells you.

The PSU I took outta there was an Antec 500W. Checking the label on it, I see a 5V, but no -5V...the old PSU used to work fine.

It would appear that the -5V issue is not the problem.

BTW, how did your old PSU die? It's possible that when it went, it damaged your motherboard too.

It didnt die...my graphics card wasnt receiving sufficient power...and the psu was running quite loud. I plan on upgrading a few things and figured I'd start with the psu.

Yeah, unless you've mistakenly damaged something, or we're all missing something EXTREMELY simple, I think it's safe to assume that you've got a lemon :(. Bad luck, but it's not unheard of.

Slap your old PSU in (if you haven't already) and make sure that you can get your system to power on with that. If so, I'd say contact the distributor and request an RMA.

Just did that...put the old PSU in, hooked everything up...no good...didnt work. talk about ur "WTFs"...turns out it was something simple. I knocked loose the power switch on the front panel. I guess its tough to turn on the computer when the power switch doesnt have juice huh...lol. The old PSU is up and running, loud as hell...time to switch in the new psu and cross my fingers.

New PSU works...but the noise is still there...turns out it must be one of the fans making the god-awful noise in my tower...UGH. Time to unhook the fans one by one and replace those!
Thanks guys for the help.

Thanks. It was the 2 fans on the back of the tower making the noise...easily replaced. Got some sweet looking fans with leds on the front of the tower...maybe i'll get more for the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back