New Psu, Now No Accsess Folders On Other Drive Partiions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCastle

Hey there,

kinda new here so be kind, thanks. Ive a issue here with regards my installing a new 400w psu as apposed to my 300w i was useing before, and tho im all booted up n for intense purposes running o.k dokee like, i cant seem to access my folders on other drive partitions. for example, on my desktop ive world of warcraft icon, and having spent awhile installing it last night and patching it, the icons inncorect, so upon trying to correct it i get to the games partition, and games folder.. but it just wont let me access it, says access denied, restricted.

can i use yah brains on this one please? cheers..

Jay. p.s. let me know if you need any hardware info otherwise, im useing a pentium 4 2.93ghz pc, 250gb SATA hard drive, 1 gig ram.

cheers.
James,

What was the reason for you changing the PSU? power shortage, burnt out, not enough etc?

try a chkdsk /f and/or a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of your HDD's website.

Maybe check that you've given that partition a valid drive letter in (right click) My Computer> Manage> Disk Management

Access Denied... Sorted, pc rebooting after 30 seconds of game play

Hey there, thanks for your responce.

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 515
(2.93GHz, , )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory: 512MB DDR
Hard Drive: 250GB HDD1
Optical Drive: DL 16x DVD±RW
Media Reader: 8-in-1 (USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card™)
Video: Intel® 915G Graphics Media Accelarator 9001
Sound: AC' 97 Codec 6-channel Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K V.92 SmartLink SL1900
Peripherals: 105+18+key+ PS/2, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front, 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

this is my pc above, however i have 1014 of ram, slightly mish mashed as the lowest stick is 166 mhz. (cpuz used) and I am running windows xp professional edition service pack 2. I am useing a Nvidia GeForce 6200 128 ddr in one of the only 2 pci slots (not pci e or agp as these slots are too close to the back of the case). i was previously useing a 300w power supply that came with the pc, so i've upgraded to 400w and upon checking my system, i think it would use typicly 300w minimum. ive also a network card in the other pci slot to which is alowing me access to the internet via broadband.

anyways, upon loading up world of warcraft, to which fps and game play is stable in itself, the pc decided to shut down for some reason...??? my gpu temp is stable around 49/ 50 upon game play raises to 60 i think.. i'll double check for my next message responce..

any ideas ?

thanks again..
James.

however i have 1014 of ram, slightly mish mashed as the lowest stick is 166 mhz.
?? so you have different speed of ram in the one pc or something?

Does it switch off and you can't turn it back on untill a minute or two pass? if so maybe your CPU temperature is overheating which would explain a shutdown like so.. use speedfan or everest home or a temperature monitor to check..

Also if i may ask what the brand/model/specs of your new psu?

strange acurances, shutting downs, and the like..sorted

hey guys, many thanks for your responces. to just clarify what the circumstance was, i installed a psu of 400w as apposed of 300w, and the first thing i noticed was the sudden lack of access to my games drive partition. ive sorted that out by just formating it and re installing wow and the like.

then i found that i was shutting down upon playing games, and haveing had a friend over last night, we found out that i was putting something like 12v through my pci graphics card (havent got any other slots whatso ever cos it has its own on board chip set, but im hopeing to go sli with 2 6200 128's), instead of its usual 5v.. something like that so the system in general was definatly over heating. the power supply only had i think it was 20 pins instead of the 24 pins needed for the motherboard. so it was just my mistake... eek. my friends bringing me down a 20 to 24 pin converter thingy for me to use my new psu propaly :)

trust me huh! hehe

thanks alot guys for your help etc. i'll get back to you soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back