New RAM addition - No Signal problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eichenkatze

A few days ago i found some overstocked ram items online and decided to purchase them after a bit of research to find out what my system could take.

DDR SDRAM 184-pin 400/PC3200 Ram cards

Seeing as i currently had 2x512mb DDR SDRAM cards in and two slots open i decided to see if i couldn't pop in a 1gb to upgrade the system memory to 2gb of DDR SDRAM.

Now mind you, i'm fairly new at this so be kind! I've done most everything with computer upgrades but RAM ive saved for last on my list for this very issue!

After reading online a bit, i only got answers for those out there who are using entirely new RAM in entirely new computers. So i'm sure the CPU and motherboard are working because i'm typing this.

From what i can tell the ram types are the same (though they look different. The old cards are slightly taller and one side is void of detail and circuits while the new card is smaller to an extent (though the same length.. thus- 184-pin. but both sides have circuitry parts)

When i put in the Ram and started the machine up, it simply hung there. Power shot through the computer so that all fans and drivers seemed to kick on and the power supply obviously was running. However the monitor gave me the 'No Signal" report. and then proceeded to go into stand-by. I swapped out the memory sticks from tray to tray, removed some and added others but nothing has worked. The only thing i have yet to try is removing the old sticks and putting only the new one in to see if it'll run.

I'm at a complete loss as to why its not working, it would be a bummer to find out i spent 75 on a useless stick!

Note - Out of the four ram slots two are blue and two are black, does this mean anything? I've tried the new card in both the black and blue and niether has allowed the computer to start up.

Any suggestions or answers? I'm at a complete loss :(

Find out the specs of your old RAM sticks by trying to find a sticker or a label on the side. Post the brand, speed, etc.

Are you currently using your old 2x512 configuration of RAM at the moment?

Try using only the new 1GB stick of RAM, that should work perfectly unless something is faulty.

The two blue and two black DIMM slots are Dual-Channel memory slots. With your two sticks of 512MB, you should be putting them on the same color slots for a Dual-Channel memory configuration.

Alright, The label on the side of the 512mb sticks were pretty bland. but heres what i could get from them:
512mb
DDR
CL3
It came with the PC so i'm assuming they're by HP or someone associated with them at least.

And to the next. Took out the 512s and dropped in the 1gb into the first Blue slot. Nothing. Same as before. Pulled it out, and put it into the next slot, black. Same thing!

So i'm guessing the ram is dead?

Yeah, that means your new 1GB stick of RAM is dead. :(

Just curious - what brand was it? Does it have a brand? Can you provide the website where you got it from?

Doesn't appear to have a brand. I got it off ebay for a cheap price compared to what i've had around here (where these are going for around the 120 range)

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Memory-Pro

Seller says he'll replace it within seven days of arrival if its defective. I'll be sending it back tomorrow i guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back