New ram makes my computer fluctuate

Status
Not open for further replies.
can somebody explain why my computer fluctuate after i add new ram, and i've notice that booting up takes time after i add the new ram(the same ram im using). i thought adding ram will speed up my computer but it doesn't. i tried to observe the performance of kernel and its not stable, even im not working it is reaching to its maximum level(fluctuating). i've updated my bios and everything but it doesn't solve the problem and oftenly stop or hang for milliseconds. i used 512 RAM before and i add another 512 assuming my pc would ran faster but i was wrong.
hoping to solve my problem.

Jin

You provided so few details I'll try to guess that maybe your new RAM is faulty or it is the wrong speed. Also, your description of "fluctuate" is confusing to me.

mailpup said:
You provided so few details I'll try to guess that maybe your new RAM is faulty or it is the wrong speed. Also, your description of "fluctuate" is confusing to me.

I bought the same memory, i even remove my old ram in reference to buy the same ram brand (twin Mos) PC2-4200 512MB U-DIMM/CL4. i observe the performance by graph monitoring using tuneup utilities and the reading reach to its peak point every 15 seconds, and when it reach to that point my computer hang for about milliseconds,its unstable. please help i need to add new ram to speed up my PC.
Thanks

If your motherboard will handle 2 gigs, being that ram is so cheap now, I would buy a matched pair of the fastest ram that your motherboard can handle. I buy lots of stuff @ Fry's Electronics. If you don't have a really cheap store you could try the internet but beware, if the particular modules are incompatible by just a little, you will wind up sending it back. On a component like ram I would use a store nearby that you could return your ram to, in case. I have never heard o0f "TWIN MOS" ram. Get a brand like Corsair or A-Data or Crucial, Kingston, etc.

pdyckman@comcas said:
If your motherboard will handle 2 gigs, being that ram is so cheap now, I would buy a matched pair of the fastest ram that your motherboard can handle. I buy lots of stuff @ Fry's Electronics. If you don't have a really cheap store you could try the internet but beware, if the particular modules are incompatible by just a little, you will wind up sending it back. On a component like ram I would use a store nearby that you could return your ram to, in case. I have never heard o0f "TWIN MOS" ram. Get a brand like Corsair or A-Data or Crucial, Kingston, etc.

Thanks pdyckman@comcas. i'll get rid of this twin mos ram and buy the one you suggest..

I could be wrong, but this definitely applies to me. On some systems when you apply new ram the system does slow down... only after you do a complete reinstall of XP will the new amount of ram be fully utilized. The reasons are unknown to me. So I don't know why. I only know that I had to reinstall the OS to fully utilize the ram. This happened on two systems that I have. The slow system startup happened to me also. This could have something to do with the virtual memory not being set right after installing in new ram. Try to do a fresh reinstall and see if things improve. Obviously backup before you do this.

Aolish it work!!thanks dude for all the suggestion and help!!i appreciate it!now my pc is running much faster than before..YOU ROCK!!thanks again

Aolish it work!!thanks dude for all the suggestion and help!!i appreciate it!now my pc is running much faster than before..YOU ROCK!!thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back