New Router - Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! (First post here)

My roommate has a Linksys BEFW11s4 v.4 router. I moved into this townhouse a few months ago and I recently found a problem that is most likely associated with the router.

I use Trillian for instant messenging. However, the latest versions of AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger ("gateway offline") do not work. I can not access my new e-mail account from Outlook/Thunderbird ("connection refused") or connect to internet to update programs like Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, et cetera ("unable to connect to servers" I believe). I use Firefox and it runs fine. The latest version of Avant browser can not connect to the internet.

Every time I open a file online to be used by Windows Media Player and Real Player, the router disconnects.

I disabled my Windows firewall.

I do not have an anti-virus software running (shame on me, I know).

I spent a while on the phone with Sharp (maker of my laptop) and Linksys. None their support assistants helped. The support assistant from Linksys made me forward (or open?) ports that are blocked by the NAT firewall. That did not work.

So ...

I ordered a new router (Zyxel P-330W).

Would a new one solve the problems I am having (not having the ability to use many programs that require internet connection)?

Thanks!

have you tried to use that serivce without the router in -place
I have not had issues with msn services with linksys
not that model ??
and my adobe updates fine again not that model
it should not be blocking http port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back