New SATA Drive not detected in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, I'm am having a problem getting WindowsXP to detect my newly installed WD 250GB SATA Hard drive. I have all the latest patches/fixes/upadates and service pack 2 installed. The drive shows up in BIOS but when Windows loads up, the drive does not show up in My Computer. It's also not present in Disk Manager nor Device Manager. I have an Intel D865GBF mobo with integrated SATA controller ports with all the latest drivers installed. What could be the problem? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

You need to partition and format all new hard drives. Right click My Computer->Manager->Disk Management

Aren't you supposed to enter the SATA BIOS (even if you're not setting up a RAID array) before it is available in Windows ?

Nodsu said:
You need to partition and format all new hard drives. Right click My Computer->Manager->Disk Management
Like I said in my first post, the drive doesn't even show up in Disk Manager. The drive has already been formatted to NTFS. But Windows still does not recognize it.

Dreamworker said:
The drive has already been formatted to NTFS. But Windows still does not recognize it.
How was it formated if Windows can't see it ? 3rd party utility ?

Didou said:
How was it formated if Windows can't see it ? 3rd party utility ?
Yeah I ran Windows2000 install, it recognized the SATA drive without having to do the F6 thing. I then formatted the drive to NTFS. My XP install also recognizes the SATA drive.

So that's how I got the drive formatted. But when I have XP up and running on my PATA IDE drive, the SATA doesn't show up anywhere.

On my ASUS P4P800-E mb, my SATA (non-RAID) appears in XP Pro Devmgr as an ATA drive. No indication of SATA anywhere. The BIOS handles it through the ICH5R Southbridge interface. The drive operates as my boot drive, **BUT** it is running at 3.5 KILObytes/sec (per SISioft Sandra Standard).

In BIOS, I have the SATA configured as S-ATA (not P-ATA).

I'm still trying to figure it out. It still hasn't began to work.

Does anybody else here have XP running on an PATA IDE while having a second SATA hdd as a storage drive working properly??

How about taking the PATA out and seeing if the SATA is recognised. Then you could install Windows on that. When this is done you should be able to put IDE back set as the boot if so desired. Then go from there with what suits you.

I see that. This is your problem it is not working. It could be some conflict between the two. Maybe motherboard or the drives. I'm suggesting you remove the PATA, it can be put back and all will be as is. I was considering getting the SATA running, this will eliminate a duff drive for one. After it is found to be working you can put the original drive back and boot from it. Then if all is well and the SATA is showing up with partitions previously created, they can be reformated and you have achieved your goal.

OK well I tried all of that. The one and only thing is that when I run Windows XP Sp2 from my PATA with the SATA hooked up as well, the SATA does not show up in Windows anywhere STILL.......

IronDuke said:
Did you load the SATA drivers even though Windows was on PATA?
When I tried loading the SATA drivers that were on my MB cd, it said Windows already has newer drivers installed. I even tried the drivers from western digital's site, same thing.

look in Device Manager

:wave:
Forget the Bios, you problem is in Device Manager.
open Device Manager you will see a big yellow ? under Other.
Click on it
click on reinstall driver. you will need the driver from your Motherboard's cd/floppy for the SCSI/RAID controller
don't let windows search for the driver, direct it to your cd/floppy
this will fix the problem

Also, and this might be a silly step that you may have already done, but if you go into your control panel/administrative tools/computer management then select disk management, does it list your drive in the bottom right window? If so, it might be as simple as assigning it a drive letter. Also, if it does list it, but no drive letter, right click on it, go to properties, click volumes, then click properties I think... it will list the drives status. (or it should) I had a drive that was set up as dynamic at one point on another OS, and XP listed it as foreign, which made it unrecognizable to XP.

EDIT: I think Disk management is only available in XP Pro. So if your using XP home then disregard all of this.

hi
i had a similar problem. after buying SATA ... but after poking in the serial ATA RAID utility it worked fine.... have you configured your PC so that it knows it´s using more than 1 drives .....

to create an array check at start up what buttons to press..... for me (ctrl-f)
there is a `bios´ for configuring the serial ATA RAID utility .. after configurin that it should work...

at least that is how i solved my problem.... :)

PS: since your original drive is not sata .. you have to configure the sata options of the mobo ... that is not in the mobo bios ... you have to configure the SATA controler..... what is your SATA controller... (mine is Promise 378 something)

PS2: your MB should have a user guide on the subject....

New SATA drive

I had the same problem, thats how I found this post. However I have managed to solve it and thought I would register and tell you how I did it.
In the BIOS setup goto "Integrated Peripherals", select "OnChip IDE Device", now my "SATA Mode" was set to RAID, so I changed it to IDE and saved the config. Not only does windows detect it now, but Acronis Migrate Easy also does :D

~Binks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back