New SATA HDD does not show on System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have recently bought a Western Digital 250gb SATA HDD, I have added this to my current system mtbd P4S800D with Maxtor 60gb HDD. This mtbd has x2 SATA connections, my old hard drive is connected via IDE where as the new one I have connected via SATA. The problem im having is the SATA hdd does not show on XP, although it does show in the BIOS. I have tried reinstalling the SATA drivers from the mbd website but this doesn't work. Unfortunately I cant us the XP disc to help install drivers as windows is preloaded. Hope somebody can help.

Many Thanks

Dan

First of all , Welcome. Next, I am looking for the answer, but a have a pretty good idea that you can't mix and match Sata & Eide in the same PC. But I'm not positve. I am still looking.

Any help would be appreciated - I am going to have to sign off now though but will be back on tommorow evening.

Regards,

Hi ,

I had this problem when I first added my 250 gig SATA drive to this PC.
I added it to my two existing IDE drives.
All I had to do was change the settings in the BIOS to PATA + SATA ( I think .... I'd check now but I'm downloading atm ).
The bottom line though, is that its not a problem once you have configured your BIOS correctly.
I'll post my settings later to let you know.

Cheers

I had this problem when I first added my 250 gig SATA drive to this PC.
I added it to my two existing IDE drives.
All I had to do was change the settings in the BIOS to PATA + SATA ( I think .... I'd check now but I'm downloading atm ).
The bottom line though, is that its not a problem once you have configured your BIOS correctly.
I'll post my settings later to let you know.
Thanks Failsafe, now I know,too.Good luck Drskinn1:rolleyes:

If it is showing up in your bios but not in windows, chances are all you have to do is assign it a drive letter.

Try going into Disk Management. Right click on "my computer" then "manage" then "disk management". Is it showing up in there? Assign it a drive letter.

drskinn1:

I just added the same WesternDigital 250Gig SATA HD to my system. Mine is an eMachine T3985 with an Intel MB, which already had two PATA drives. Works fine, mixing both PATA and SATA.

My 250Gig is an OEM, so it did not come with software or instructions. I had to go to the Western Digital web site and download installation instructions and installation software. Installation software I used is called: Data Lifeguard Tools for Windows, downloadable from the WD web site. It formatted my drive and changed a registry setting for allowing HD greater then 137Gig.

In addition, like "Failsafe" said in a previous note, make sure your BIOS setting is set to SATA + PATA.

Thanks Guys,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner Im in the forces and unfortunately have to work strange hours.
I have had a look under disk management and it still doesnt appear, Ill take a look at my bios and see if I can locate the pata+sata setting - I had checked there previously and the only option i could find was enable SATA - that is currently enabled.
Ill check and keep you guys posted.
Thanks to you all for your help its most appreciated.

I have had a look in my bios - there doesnt appear to be an option for allowing PATA + SATA - the only option I have is On Chip SATA Controller which I currently have enabled.
I have read elsewhere that it might be something to do with the installed SATA/RAID controller and currently mine has a yellow question mark next to it with an error code 10 msg? This has completely bamboozled me.

any missing drivers for your motherboard should be on the motherboard setup cd, put it in and right click on the question marked entry and update driver ...

might be wrong m8, but just a thought.

Cheers

I don't seem to detect a succesfull install and partition,or Windows install.
I have the mbd cd and instuctions,but have a problem makeing a floppy that is supposed to be used when told to use F6 to continue.
But you can use 2 Sata's and 4 IDE Hd's or optical if you wanted too.
I reconnected My previous Windows IDE on Primary master till i get the answer.

Hello,
tried the update drivers still no joy - the mtbd was oem as well but I downloaded all that was on the support cd from the asus support site.
Reading other posts suggests that this code 10 error is a major problem for some.

you could try this .....

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOTHERBOARD/Others/Sis-Serial-ATA-RAID-105.shtml

... thats the correct driver for your motherboard.

I'm not familiar with the board but a bit of research also suggested that the drivers may have to be installed from floppy ( created from the set up cd from what i can gather ).

your board uses sis964 for the sata and according to the sis website .....

7. Why can't I install Windows XP on my S-ATA HDD by SiS964?

A: You have to copy the driver paired with the motherboard package into a floppy disc before you installing WinXP or Windows 2000 on your system, and follow the notice showed on the screen to insert the floopy disc. The system will grab the needed driver from the disc to finish the installation of S-ATA HDD automatically.

Because SiS964 was announced before than Windows XP and WinXP therefore it can't recognize it. If you want to install a whole new WinXP (or Windows 2000) on S-ATA HDD by SiS964, you need to copy the necessary driver from the directory named floopy image on your driver CD to one floopy disc. When you begin to install OS, follows the instruction to put your disc into floopy drive. After this, you will keep on installing your WinXP smoothly. If you use P-ATA HDD, you don't need to do like this.

..now I understand, of course, that you're not trying to install XP on it but its pretty much the same thing ..... the SATA drivers "should" have been installed when you first installed XP.

here is a link to the sis964 download that includes the floppy image ( downloaded it for ya to check ) ...

http://www.softwarepatch.pl/plik/37..._RAID_Driver_Package_v_304c_(komentarze).html

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Hello Failsafe,

Apologies for the long delay, I have been partying hard all over the holidays.
I had a go at trying to install those drivers and the origional ones from the Asus website. I didnt have any luck, I kept getting setupx.dll errors appear when installing them, then when I tried to fix the dll file the new one was just wrong.
So im afraid I have had to give up and have purchased a SATA/RAID controller card. I really wanted to fix the problem as it now appears to be something simple like a driver conflict. But i suppose in the end I got the result I wanted the controller card works fine.

Many Thanks to everyone that tried to help me solve this issue, Its an amazing thing you do.

I wish you all the best for the New Year!

Regards,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back