New self built won't boot

By rbf
Oct 19, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Assembled my second computer after reading "The best pc for the money" in the 10\03 issue of pcmagazine, following the author's list of components except for increasing the hard drive size.
    seagate 320 sata drive
    Lite-on SHM-165h6s dvd3rw
    OCZ gold 2gb ddr2 800
    asus p5b mobo
    ZFZ GEforce 7900gt
    sound blaster audigy 2 ZS
    Intel core 2 duo e6600
    Antec p150 case.

Only problem is that it will not show any signs of life other than the green light showing power to the mobo. I have tried the following:
    tried a new power source
    tried a different dvd drive
    tried a different sound card
    tried no sound card
    tried a second hard drive (bought two)
    returned the mobo, thinking it was the problem-it evidently wasn't
    disassembled everthing and removed mobo to make sure there were not any unintentional grounds or potential short circuts

still will not boot-nobeeps, no nothing. It's been a frustrating week and a half.
    Any suggestions?
  2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Try connecting the cables from the power switch into the appropriate slot on the motherboard if you haven't already done so. This is a mistake I had, and I almost went crazy trying to figure it out.
  3. rbf

rbf Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for the suggestion, but I have already triple checked that. Triple checked all of the wires actually.
  4. cfitzarl

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
  5. rbf

rbf Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

tried resetting the cmos a few minutes ago after reading another thread, no luck.
  6. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Bad cpu or ram then!!!!
  7. cfitzarl

Has to be! Or else he received another bad motherboard.
  8. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Try it out of the case with just cpu, psu, speaker, and power switch connected, it should beep, if it doesn't then its cpu or mobo!!!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.