New self-repairing plastic 'bleeds' and 'heals' like human skin

By Matthew
Mar 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers at the University of Southern Mississippi have developed a new type of plastic that can mimic the behavior of human skin. Presented at an annual meeting of the American…

Read the whole story
  2. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

I see this becoming a standard. Anything from a cellphone (dear god please!!) to a toothbrush. This is the type of tech ppl have needed but couldnt get.
  4. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 342   +20

Cool, this will probably be used for the T1000's finger nails.
  5. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

I guess somebody had to say it!
  6. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Or Camera Lenses.
  7. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186

It will be incredibly creepy to drop my phone and see a large red wound where it hit the ground. I'm not sure I would even want to pick it up after that :s
  8. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

You should have nothing to worry about unless it goes berserk, reaches godhood, and brings about the end of the world. In case that does happen, promptly contact N.E.R.V. and ask for Gendo Ikari, he'll know what to do.

Maybe.
  9. Ramonsterns - not much chance it will be in a lens - the priority there is frequency response in the visible spectrum. This doesn't have those properties - it even discolours. Horrors. There are companies developing plastic and even fluid lenses, but the problem again is consistent accurate light transmission. Hoya has developed a surface coating that repels water and makes glass easier to clean without affecting light transmission - that's no small feat.
  10. yowanvista

yowanvista Newcomer, in training Posts: 82

But will it blend??? O.o
  11. Zilpha

Zilpha TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 349

That is some seriously cool stuff. We are well on the way to losing our planet to the human version of Geth.

12. jeffz6

jeffz6 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

Why would companys sell products that heal? they wont us to buy a new one.
  13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,398   +831

I think the success of each iPhone incarnation pretty much renders that theory null and void.
  14. yorro

yorro TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

15. Where can I buy this now? I would pay 300 bucks for that just for my ipod.
  16. Doctor John

Doctor John TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

As this material allegedly mimics human skin, next time I cut myself shaving I'll stick my head in hot nitric acid, nuke it with a sun-lamp and I'll be good as new!
  17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

That sounds promising! lol

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.