New Server Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

Hello. I am making a HLDS (half-life dedicated server) and I want to purchase a system for it. I will be running a Linux server distro but I want to know what kind of comp I should put together. I don't want to spend over $300 and I don't need any crazy Opteron stuff and Itanium or Xeon at 3.0Ghz or something.

I was running one on a 400MHz PII but that didn't seem too promising.

Any input and advice is welcome.

If you can build your own system, you can do it for under $300 at http://www.newegg.com.. Something like a Athlon XP 1700+ w/256mb DDR will cost about $300.

The minimum systems requirements for HDLS is 233MHz, but 400Mhz is recommended... Obviously this number will depend on the number of players you will have on your server at once.

What you will need more than anythting for your HLDS is a great Internet connection, plenty of memory and a reasonably fast CPU. If you don't have something like 1.4Mbps DSL or better, then this may have been why your previous server didn't work out too well. The upload speed here is very important.. Many broad band services limit the upload speed drastically.

I have a 3.5Mbs connection but that's just the download. The upload is a miserable 250k, I'm trying to learn how to change it, prob give some dl juice to the upload, I posted about this on Networking.

Btw, newegg.com is really awesome, I buy from there alot.

1.0 ghz is plenty. Most companies who host Counter-strike and half-life servers only use approx. 400 mhz per 12 players for AMD servers. 1.0 ghz can host you about 28 players max, 1.4 ghz amd will host you a full 32 player server.

You'll need a good 1 GB for a big hl server, 512 for a smaller one.

Each HL player will only use 5 kb/s, so your 250 should be fine, as long as it's not cable.

you can't change the DSL upload / download rates as u wish dude

3.5 mbit down and 256 k up is ADSL = asymetric, you can't lower the DL to increase the UL

get a SDSL line tough, but it's expensive as hell, at least here in Belgium

Originally posted by Nick

Each HL player will only use 5 kb/s, so your 250 should be fine, as long as it's not cable.

What does the connection being cable have to do with it?

Care to explain? I'm confused why you think 250 on cable would be different than 250 on something else.

You can't run a dedicated server for latency sensitive games like counter-strike on cable. A cable line will ping spike a lot more than any other dedicated line.

You can't run a dedicated server for latency sensitive games like counter-strike on cable. A cable line will ping spike a lot more than any other dedicated line.

A cable connection will not spike or sag anymore then a DSL connection if the provider is good and balances load well. A cable line versus a DSL line in consistent latency comparisons should be exactly the same. Only if the line is heavily saturated (if the block is being overused; too many people on the block) or if your line was subject to other bad conditions would that be true.

Most dedicated servers that are run at home are on cable, actually. And as far as home users go, "dedicated line" is illogical and the choices "available" aren't all that vast.

Originally posted by XtR-X
5 kilobits or kilobytes?
That's something that confuses a lot of people.

When refering to KiloBytes it is normal to use uppercase 'B' (e.g. 5 kB/s).
When refering to KiloBits, lowercase is normal (e.g. 5 kb/s).

Unfortunately, many people seem to get confused and interchange the two.

Originally posted by Nic
Unfortunately, many people seem to get confused and interchange the two.

Guilty.

Nick, what was it that you say?

Trying to make sure because server.counter-strike.net forums don't have alot of activity and their admins are lazy.

I see. Well, I guess I may have to find some place to stick my box now because I am on cable, and my max upload is 30kB/s (250kb/s).

Though, I have a friend on DSL who gets arround 40kB/s upload.... I may stick my box at his house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back