TechSpot

New Setup, New Install?

By weslstan
Nov 27, 2007
  1. Hey,

Firstly thanks to rage for all his help with my previous questions.

So I bought that new Gigabyte x38 ds5 motherboard along with a q6600 and a 8800gt and 2gb ram, all brand new and have'nt installed anyof them into the machine yet.

My question was when I do install them is there any chance vista will continue to work? or will I have to do a fresh install.

Thank you.

2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

If the hard drive is the same it SHOULD work. You will have to install the new motherboard drivers for whatever comes with the board like Sound, Ethernet and the new Video drivers.

3. i'm pretty sure it works like this for both windows XP and vista since vista is pretty much an upgraded version of XP in the first place.

but i have no idea how to do this, so you'll have to either ask albertlionheart, or figure it out yourself. i wouldn't know how to help you further than that.

4. weslstan

weslstan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 51

Oh yeah its the same hard drive as before, thats good to hear, I heard that if you buy a motherboard with a different chipset to the previous one it wouldnt work or would cause errors atleast.

Anyone know?

5. weslstan

Oh right okay, So any idea how to run the Vista repair tool then?

6. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

7. provoke.bpk

provoke.bpk TS Rookie Posts: 17

There's a decent chance that your windows will fail. However, that's based on my past experiences with Windows XP. You might be able to pull it off, but back-up your docs before you upgrade. And if anything goes wrong, just reformat and you'll be fine.

8. weslstan

Thanks for your help.

Yeah everythings backed up, I guess I just have to take a chance and hope it doesnt fail then.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

You always have to do a fresh install when changing motherboards.

10. weslstan

Not true, I read a few times browsing the net today that people had gone through up to 3 motherboards without having to.
    If you dont you may have problems so its ofcourse better to do a fresh install but not always 100% needed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.