160 GB SATA
1GB DDR2
PCI Express Nvidia V/C

Will not load Windows Home Edition
I get the blue screen error message
Will load up to reboot
Its killing me any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

First suspect is probably your ram, but please post again with your full system specs, details on the parts make/models please.

Also, please give exact details on WHEN the blue screen is happening, and what error message it is giving you.

More Spec Info

The RAM is PNY 1GB,DDR2, DIMM, HTSPR
@533Mhz, 5.0-3-3-12 (I don't know what 5.0-3-3-12 means?)
Seagate 160GB HDD 7200/8MB/SATA-150
Intel D945PSNLK Socket 775
I think the CPU is an Intel 2.8 ghz P4 5?? (I forget) I'm pretty sure it's 800 FSB.
GeForce PCI Express fx 5200 256mb v/c

Is that enough on the specs? I just tried it again the blue screen does refer to removing any recently added hardware.

Please don't tell me its That RAM It cost too much to wrong!!!!

We still need some more details from you.

Is this a new build? Especially your hard drive... does it already have windows installed on it from a previous system?

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

(I don't know what 5.0-3-3-12 means?)
That the ram clock timing.
I agree with DoNagual on the ram. Is it a single stick or 2x 512?
Have these componants run together before this or all brand new?

More Info

It's a new build. All of the listed hardware is freshly ordered from Tigerdirect and built with these two hands. I'm not new to building PC's however I am popping my cherry on the DDR2 and SATA drives. Never been keen on RAM anyway.

I'm using XP Home Edition upgrade doing a clean install on the 160 GB HDD. I also installed windows on a couple of other 60 GB HDD on a different computer, pulled out the HDD's and installed them in the new comp with no success (go figure). I can't remember what the error message was but it seemed to be different everytime. One time I got completely through and almost got the new drivers for the Mobo installed when CRASH!!!! GAME OVER, MAN! On reboot I recieved error message for a missing config file.

Does this help you any. Becuase I'm seriously thinking about adding some lead to this PC.

What is the PSU make, and how many watts is it rated at?

You may want to test that ram with www.memtest.org and see if the ram is faulty.

Your mobo does support DDR2 533mhz ram. Do you know if the ram is ECC registered, single or dual sided? What does the mobo support? I am just wanting to confirm that you have compatible memory for your board.

I'm sorry I've never really posted before so bare or bear with me.

The motherboard is rated for this memory it was recommended by Tigerdirect.
I do not know what ECC means but I can check if you point me in the right direction.

The memtest program runs from DOS. If you download it from a working computer, then put it onto a floppy (or CD) you can boot it on your new computer from DOS to test the ram.

Your PSU only has 15amps on the 12v rail. A little on the low side. Do you have another PSU you can use to troubleshoot with?

If the ram you bought was listed by tigerdirect as compatible ram, you can probably trust that. I'd rule out incompatible ram for now.

No problem, take your time. ECC is short for Error-Correcting Code memory.
Memtest is run from a floppy or bootable cd and should work for ddr2.
Your system is not booting at all now?

Thanks, I'll give the memtest a shot. I can't find anything in the bios for ECC. Thanks for the link to update the bios. I'll give that a try. In addition the the rail thing with the PSU I don't understand. Now that you mention it sometimes I when I boot the it fails and shuts down. I thought it was becuase of a bios setting but do you think it could be the PSU. Also I think running an os is alittle more demanding than running bios. you think it could be overloading the PSU?

I've read down through the whole post and yes I have to agree, it's sounding like an overloaded PSU. A P4 2.8GHz will pull about 8-10amps off the 12Volt rail.
Now you still need to run fans and the motors in the HDD/DVD/CD. etc.
Try unplugging everything but the cpu/ram/video/hdd. Format again (I won't trust that install). See if you can give it ago again.
You need at least PSU with 20A to run safely I think.

Cheers.

Psu?

Will this work?

Xion 600 watt PowerReal ATX Power Supply
This high-end powerhouse delivers incomparable performance at an affordable price. Featuring a 24 pins mainboard connector (converter for 20 pins) the Xion 600-watt PowerReal ATX power supply supports the latest Intel Pentium 4 and Athlon 64/64 FX processors. This superb power supply is loaded with innovative features including a Smart Relay System (SRS) that keeps cooling fans running for up to 5 minutes after system shut down to extend the lifetime of the computer and power supply. It also boasts SATA-ready power connectors for SATA HDD and drive connection, a manual/automatic fan speed switch that allows you to adjust fan speed according to system needs or turn to Auto for speed adjustment via a sensor. Other cutting-edge features include acoustic silent control from the 140mm fan, which provides better airflow and speed control and a dedicated PCI Express power connectors. Plus, the Xion 600-watt power supply’s coated surface offers superior cooling effects. This reliable, high-performance power supply is ideal for gaming and other extreme systems. And we’re offering it at an incredibly low price! Order your Xion 600-watt PowerReal ATX power supply for extreme performance at an extremely reasonable cost.

Specifications

AC INPUT 115V/230V - 60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB
600W Max
Combined
Watts 35A 53A 30A 1.0A 1.0A 3.0A
600W

Connectors

1x Main Power 20 and 24 Pin
1x AUX Power
1x 12V (P4)
10x Peripheral
2x Floppy
2x SATA Power
2x PCI Express
Features

The Xion power supply seems good. I don't have one but I've looked at it before. I like the 22 amps on each of the two +12V rails. Few, if any, 600W psu's go this high. At least, I haven't seen any yet.

My Dual PSU rig, using 1 Power on

Setting up your system to run dual (Master/Slave) psu's is very simple.
What you need:
2 atx psu's (example: Matched 300w), electrical tape,
2 wire connectors and space in your case.

I chose to mount the slave PSU inside of case running
Link wire 14(green) & 15(black) inside to pair up with internal PSU 20 pin.

1. First thing to do is make sure that both psu's work.

2. Now locate the plugs that hook up to the motherboard on both psu's. (20 pin)
20pin.jpg

3. Identify Link wire 14(green) & 15(black) on both PSU's.
Cut the 20 pin plug off the slave psu. Now cut and cap (elec. tape)
remaining 20 pin wires (not the molex wires) all the way back to the slave PSU.

4.Then splicing wire 14(green) & 15(black)
to the master PSU wire 14(green) & 15(black).
note: Do Not cut plug off the master PSU

5. I cut only wire 14 & 15 on the master PSU about 1 1/2" from plug
and used wire connectors to make the following connections.

6. Link wire 15 (black) on both psu's together, line 15 is ground and to run
dual psu's you need a common ground.
casemodp3_6.jpg

7.Link wire 14 (green) on both psu's together, line 14 is the "ps-on" line
which turns the psu's on using just the Power on button of front of case.
Now your done with the master psu, the master psu is the supply that
mounts in your standard PSU spot and plugs into the motherboard.

I have used dedicated molex's from the master PSU to run my 6800 gt
and motherboard (20pin & 4pin Pentium) & HDD'S/ the slave PSU for
cdrw & dvdrw, internal fans & external radiator 120mm fan & cooling pump.

Note: this method only allows you to run two psu's in one case as separate
units, master/slave. The master PSU will supply the 4 pin plug to the
motherboard. I have since cut all un-used cables from the slave PSU ie;
20 pin & 4pin, mine had a weird 5 pin too.
SideFull.jpg

Nice post SOcRatEs, very well laid out and informative. May I just make 1 small comment. Running the fans and the HDD/DVD/CD etc off the slave seems perfectly fine/super to me. But I'm a little nervous of running a video card off the slave. My concern is the 2 supplies are still actually independent, thus their actual voltages (outputs) will be slightly different (intrinsically) and under different loads. The video card does get some power from the mobo (master PSU), so I would think there's a slight voltage difference at certain points in the card.

I guess what I'm trying to say is parallel PS's work in a funny way. If PS1 is slightly higher in voltage then PS2, then PS1 actually carries the whole current load until it's overloaded. Then it's voltage drops below PS2 just a little and PS2 kicks a little current, just enough so PS1 is no longer "overloaded" and it's violtage comes back up. All this results in PS1 giving 99% of the current, 99% of the time.

At this point I have to admit I'm not sure what happens when the video card gets some of it's current from the mobo supply off PS1 and some of it's current from the molex off PS2.

How long have you had this set-up running? I suppose if the above known effect was acutally taking place w.r.t the video card you would have noticed a problem long ago.

Cheers.

kirock said:
Nice post SOcRatEs, very well laid out and informative. Running the fans and the HDD/DVD/CD etc off the slave seems perfectly fine/super to me. But I'm a little nervous of running a video card off the slave. My concern is the 2 supplies are still actually independent, thus their actual voltages (outputs) will be slightly different (intrinsically) and under different loads.
Cheers.
Thank you.......
I have modified above. I've run this way for at least 4 months now.
I have tried several configurations and settled on the above edit.
I never saw any differences in any of the configurations.
I just felt for same reason you mention, that this config does make more
sense. I've also opted for matching psu's as well.
It isn't so much the output being different between the psu's,
as the draws are more balanced.
Without question, I draw less from each PSU than I did from 1 500w,
Recitfying less current and creating less heat. Less draw also means
lower amps required from each 12v rail.
This config also protects me should the slave fail, I'll get alarms from fan
failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back