TechSpot

New Sony mass storage device not found

By si_bli
Aug 21, 2005
  1. Hello all,

A colleague of mine bought a sony USB2 80Gb hard drive, on plugging it into the usb port it appears that it is recognized but when you check in my computer nothing is recognized. He say's it did come with a disk which unfortunately he left at home. I thought the mass storage devices were plug and play?? Any idea's peeps?

:bounce:

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Did he FORMAT that HD yet?

3. si_bli

si_bli TS Rookie Topic Starter

No,

It is registering in device manager but not in my computer. So no drvie letter is assigned therefore he can not format. We are using Shell GID machines here (Offshore) windows 2000.

cheers

4. RealBlackStuff

Do you have network drives assigned? If so, unmap them, and move them up a few letters in the alphabet.
    e.g. Harddrive=C, CD/DVD=D, mapped networkdrive=E
    Move the E-drive to e.g. letter P.
    USB drives need consecutive letters immediately after the physical drives in your PC. Because the next physical driveletter in the above example, E, is taken, USB cannot assign the E that it needs for the USB-drive.
    Hope this makes sense to you.

5. si_bli

No,

It is registering in device manager but not in my computer. So no drvie letter is assigned therefore he can not format. We are using Shell GID machines here (Offshore) windows 2000 serv pack 4.

cheers

6. RealBlackStuff

Have you got any more detailed answers, other than the repeat of your previous post?
    No what?

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You need to create a partition on the drive before you can format anything.

8. si_bli

pardon my ignorance but how do you partition the drive? when it is not visible in my computer??? :blush:

9. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Right click My Computer, Manage, Drive Management

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.