New system case questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photo601

I am in the process of building a new system. I am going with:
AMD 64 3200+ socket 939
Asus A8V K8T800 Pro 1 GB ram so far. I have 2 questions; what is a good case to put this in? I am looking at a Kigwin Mutant X 420 w PSU for the price and cooling, but I am concerned as I do not know how good of a PSU kingwin manufactures as opposed to Anec, which I understand to be near, if not top of the line PSU's.
My second is in relation to the Chipset. Shuld I go retail with the AMD heatsink and fan, w/3yr warranty, or go OEM with aftermarket heatsink and fan w/6mo waranty. I have been told both ways about removing the thermal heat pad or going OEM. :(

With a top line processor and mobo I would only go with a good PS like Antec or Enermax. Ive repaired PC's where the cheap PS blew and damaged almost every component in the system. Go with the Retail processor. I just scrape off the thermal pad and apply Arctic Silver.

How easily does the heat pad remove and do I run the risk of damaging the unit? (Obviously using due care and caution)

I just use a razor blade to swipe it off. You dont HAVE to do that though. If you're not going to overclock the processor the thermal pad is perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back