TechSpot

New Techie

By Xantaeounip
May 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, let me sum it all up. I'm a new "fresh out of tech school" techie, and I'm not necessarily trying to make a name for myself, but I would like to get sharper in the ways of the software. Yes, I'm a geek. But currently I don't have a job. Don't ask.

My ultimate goal in this is to get CEH certified and maybe even further. I hear CISSP is where it's at now. But I have a long way to go. Wish me luck would you?
  2. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TS Maniac Posts: 698

Hi Xantaeounip,

It really depends what direction you are heading.

Are you going for more networking orientation, security or administration (plenty more directions also).

What qualifications do you currently have now?

If it's software you are interested in, then you can start looking at software qualifications.

Have you played around with programming? C++ could be an interesting read :)
  3. Xantaeounip

Xantaeounip TS Rookie Topic Starter

I just graduated from Chubb Institute (Anthem institute now) for Network Security, and I graduated from Camden County Vocational Technical School, for Computer Repair. I've been tinkering with computers since the age of 12, and now I'm 26. Xant is my old hacker name, but I want to help people with what I know rather than cause mischief anymore.

Security is what I'm aiming for, but that takes time. Everything does though.
  4. Xantaeounip

Also, I've done some study in HTML and started programming at 12 in Atari BASIC. I found C++ to be somewhat similar, but I haven't really done much programming with it other than MUDs. Send me a PM if you would like to sample it.
  5. snowchick7669

Have you considered doing something like CompTIA Security+

I suspect you will find it rather interesting. It is sort of like an entry level qualification for security, but dont let that put you off! I'm currently sitting it and I find it extremely entertaining.

Never thought I'd say that studying was enjoyable either :)
  6. Xantaeounip

There has been a problem, I need to have at least 42 posts, so I can't respond to PM's. I have to be honest, it's not all my codework. But I was smart enough to make it into something that me and my friends can enjoy.
    telnet to: zeno.biyg.org:2102
  7. Xantaeounip

lol. I've tried the CompTIA A+ certification, and I failed the first two times I took it. I'm still not so confident I'll pass it, even though I know the material. I just lack the proper motivation. So I can only imagine what security+ will bring me. Still, I want to be certified. It's one of my dreams, that and being able to fly a plane.
  8. snowchick7669

Don't be disheartened about CompTIA A+.

I hated study at school and sat a few University Business papers (grinded through those). But as soon as I found something interesting then I was reading it like a book

I attempted A+ when I first started with computers, but it didn't appeal to me. I was getting hands on experience with problems and knew most of what was being said anyway, so naturally, my ADD got the better of me and I found staring at the wall more entertaining then reading the textbook :D

What did you find hard about the A+? Were you under prepared for the exams? There are a lot of online tests you can take that prep you on what you need to relearn.

Keep posting and then eventually you can reply to my PM. Haha!

Do you have msn at all? If you want to chat, I'm only on here at work (shhh)
  9. Xantaeounip

Some of the misleading questions got me good. Then of course there was just some material that I hadn't even heard of on it. When I took it before, there were two tests, they weren't too expensive, and they were 30 questions. If you answered 15 right, you were good. Now I hear it's like 80 questions and three tests. No thank you sir. I do have a life... of constant gaming :p
  10. snowchick7669

What do you play? :D
  11. Xantaeounip

World of Warcraft, Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst, MUDs, and many other things. I will get an xbox 360 elite sometime here in the near future, as well as the playstation 3. Fable, halo 3, blah blah blah blah. My MSN is revrand@hotmail.com

12. snowchick7669

WOW O.o

I unfortunately do grace my credit card with that game.

But am more a FPS (Counterstrike Source). We had to separate our Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, wouldnt want them to cause any mischief, felt bad for putting the Xbox next to the black beastie :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.