New to backing up, looking for good app for auto backup

macx

Hi

Yes, shame on me for not backing up for - I won't admit how long :-/

Myself and "friend" both want to get up to speed on backing up.
I had read about the WD auto backup that comes with their external drives
so bought one for my friend who has two 8.1 laptops to backup and knows
even less about it than I do but has some very important irreplaceable
data she needs to keep. I so far am sticking with 7, esp after struggling to
help her with some issues on her 8.1.

From what I understand, the auto backup type of setup is what we both
want, where it backs up anything new or changes to existing files without
having to do it manually and does it on real time.

Other than that, neither of us needs something with a hundred options
that we likely won't use or understand. Keeping it simple to set up is important, too.

I suppose a paid backup app is likely to be more trouble free and reliable
than any free one, altho I've read good reviews of some free ones, too.
Problem is there are always both good and bad reviews of the same app.

Would sure appreciate some recommendations. Preferably for free but
will do paid if more reliable and easier to work with.

She has a 2tb portable external drive and I have a 1tb which is plenty for me.

Thanks for any recommendations and any tips that could help us!!

Q1: What kind of backup do you need, A full system restore OR only bank ups of your user document?

Q1: What kind of backup do you need, A full system restore OR only bank ups of your user document?

The data is the most important, of course, but we would like to have a full backup of the system altho that wouldn't need to be absolutely current with every backup. I'm afraid I'm not even sure of what mirroring and the other terms really mean.

Reading about the WD backup software, I understood that would backup any additional files or changes to existing ones. Is that correct and/or possible?

Thanks!

@Zahid Iqbal1 If you read the initial post, he has the 1TB WD device - - by the way, that's and external enclosure WITH an HD.
Do you have to always stated the obvious?

The data is the most important, of course, but we would like to have a full backup of the system altho that wouldn't need to be absolutely current with every backup. I'm afraid I'm not even sure of what mirroring and the other terms really mean.

Reading about the WD backup software, I understood that would backup any additional files or changes to existing ones. Is that correct and/or possible?

Thanks!

If you only need to backup the changed data, you may consider differential back or incremental backup. Both of them will only backup the changed data, while in different ways, of course. If you're interested in how they work, go to the Wikipedia. As to the backup software, I'm using free Easeus todo backup. You can create an incremental or differential backup, setting to perform daily/weekly/monthly at any time. Note that you'd better choose to "only save several images" so that the external hard drive would not be filled up. The free edtion provides no tech support. If you need this, you can purchase the home edition.

I've never tried this but, couldn't you use the Windows backup utility, and run it as an administrative task?

(If anyone know why this is a bad idea, or can't be done, feel free to clue me in about it).

Back