TechSpot

New to Forum and need advice on Graphics Card & Power Supply

By asbill71
Feb 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all. I have a Sony Vaio Desktop model VGC-RB42G I upgraded to 2GB ram. I have a 22inch Samsung LCD. For the last 2 months during processes that require alot of graphics (quicktime movies, MS Paint and other image software, my computer locks up. It will do nothing. The only way out is holding the power button until it shuts down. I still have the factory graphics accelerator. I turned down the acceleration to "none" and it solved most of the problems. Just have crappy video now. My question is what Graphics card would be best for my computer. I am not a gamer at all, I download videos and do alot of pictures and altering pictures. I would like to stay in the $50-$75 range and from reading I guess I need a PCI Express X16 Card. I was also told my power supply might not be up to muster. I figured If I added a stand alone graphics card I would need to upgrade. Again I have a very limited budget (recent adoption) and would like to go bigger than my factory 300W but do not need top of the line. I don't want to take shortcuts but for what I do with the computer I don't want overkill either

I usually shop at newegg but am looking for any and all advice.

Thank you in advance

2. Rickman45

Rickman45 TS Rookie Posts: 22

I would recommend the XFX brand, I looked this up for you at newegg.
    XFX PVT86SYAFG GeForce 8400GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
    for $54.99 also are you using your DVI connection? if so great! as for your Powersupply,
    I would most likely look for a 400W or better, I use a Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W. it has been great unit, also quiet and very clean power! nice plug connectors and
    cables will reach any where! there are at newegg for $39.99. you might just want to get the
    video card and decide on the powersupply a little later, good luck,hope this was helpful.
    Rickman45

3. asbill71

asbill71 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the help

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

$37 for basically the same card.

That card has such low power requirements I wouldn't think you'd need to upgrade your PSU.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.