New to forum & need info on cpu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude666

hi people i have a amd athlon x2 4600+(am2) and want to no if it would be worth upgrading it to a 5000+

Depends on your goal, what are you trying to do that you need the performance increase? Do you have the money to get the 5000 now? What motherboard do you have?

If you have a decent motherboard and RAM and if you have the money to get the 5000, it may be worth trying to overclock it to get the performance of the 5000. Then if you are unhappy with it or are unable to get to where you want, just buy the 5000.

You probably won't notice much of a difference between the two processors. If you need more speed then consider overclocking like SNGX mentioned. Just make sure you have a good stable power supply, good heatsink and fan for the cpu, decent memory that can possibly handle an overclock, and make sure your motherboard supports overclocking.

my specs are;

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.40GHz (Socket AM2)
(2x1GB) Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX
Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi (Socket AM2)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
256mb 6800gs xfx
Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB

and i use the system for gaming

That should play anything out there just fine. I'd just do the overclock since you have a decent board and ram. Don't be afraid of the temps being too hot, if the system is stable its fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back