New to linux unix journey across the web

By gonadpyle
Apr 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. :) Hi every body i am new to linux and window has been my OS for 15 years. I have slowly migrated (still migrating) that means im in the stage where im dual booting a couple of OS's and using some in the vmware and virtualbox. and emulations. I have an HP pavillion dv4000.
    I dont know how to dig out information on what kind of system or hardware i have, because just about every distro that have installed of linux has different naming conventions for some of the hardware im achitecture. I know it by the lables (stickers on the keyboard area) that it has a centrino proc in it. I think 1.6 ghz. 512 mb mem. I am from Ga but moved to Indiana for a while. If anybody wants to email me personally and help me I will leave you my email.
    I got started on my journey with linux when I first saw the word unix on the web. Then from there my search has took me far and struggle all the way. then I ran into FreeBSD. Tried that for awhile and didnt get for on that before moving to some other OS.
    Take care everybody your friend ......Davd
  2. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,971   +10

Hi gonadpyle :wave:

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)