New to SATA, quick questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it possible to run a SATA and a ATA drive at the same time with one as the master ane one as the slave? or do they both have to be SATA or ATA?

i have an ATA drive i use for my file storage, and i just bought my first SATA drive, was wondering if i could keep the ATA as a slave drive.

thanks alot guys.

It should be possible in theory but even if you look around in these forums many people are having problems with it. Just try it and see what happens.

You may run both but not in the configuration you mention. Master and slave doesn't apply to SATA, at least not yet. Each SATA device connects to a single SATA controller. It's a one to one deal, not like the two devices per IDE controller.

ok, so i'd just plug in the SATA drive as is. and install the OS on the SATA. for the IEDE i'd just set it up as a single drive jumper setting. and make the system boot from the SATA drive and that is it?

In theory, yes. I don't have that setup myself. I have one SATA HD only. While I've heard some people having problems setting it up, I've heard of others without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back