TechSpot

New to Site

By hk2009
Jul 5, 2009
  1. Hi. I just joined the site because I was impressed with the help and advice that is being provided.

2. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Hi HK :wave:

I am not a mod, but let me offer a belated ...
    Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

Looks like you have already started a thread or two, and have received some help.
    When I arrived, one of the Mods welcomed me with these helpful hints.

You should read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
    System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

3. hk2009

hk2009 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Shouldn't this become part of the New Member "welcome" email?

Hi B00kWyrm,

I noticed that over the last week you've been taking the time to send this helpful welcome message to all of the new members who have posted an Introduction message. Your message has great info that every new member should read - not to mention that in doing so they would be more effective communicating their needs in any thread they might start.

With that said, I'd like to recommend that you contact a moderator or Julio and suggest that they amend the email script sent to all new members by incorporating your message into the Techspot welcome email. It would be more efficient for it to be auto-sent to every newly registered member rather than you posting a reply to every new person. And, if the new member were to actually open and read the "how to's" in the links before they made their first post (even the Introductory post) they'd be better informed how the site works.

Even though these guides/threads/etc are out there in the Forums, one has to search them out to find them. Sending them when someone first joins the site is the best approach in my opinion. Once again, thanks for creating and sending this guide.

4. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Thanks for the kind words, HK.
    The core message (template) I used came from one of the mods, when I first joined.
    So I did not really create it... Just passed it along.

I had noticed quite a number of Introductions had not been answered with a welcome message,
    so I just thought I would try to do something useful/helpful...

Of course... I made at least one mistake in the process...
    Sending this to a thread that had been started/ post that had been made in one of the help forums.
    I was trying to just respond to those who had not recvd. replies to their intros,
    and should have come here (introductions), rather than use the "quick link" to "unanswered posts"...

Your suggestion about including it with the email script has merit...
    in that goofs such as mine would be avoided by the automated process...
    but Julio or others may have different ideas on the subject.

I can see merit in other approaches as well...
    It was nice to get what seemed (at the time) a personal welcome from a mod.
    I realize now that he was using a "canned speech", just as I did;
    Though I did tailor/edit mine a bit depending on the activity of the original poster.

Again... welcome.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.